Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Force10 Homes Performance - St. John?

gonetropo
September 16, 2017 01:07PM

Does anyone know how the Force10 Homes that David Holzman/Innovative Builders constructed on St. John performed in Irma?

We discussed building with David back in the early 90's on a property we owned in Upper Estate Carolina on Majestic Mile. We then sold the property and built a home of coral block in the Grenadines but I always wanted to build a Force10 home as a cottage in the Grenadines..

Being a GC, it always seemed to be an appealing and adaptable concept for the hurricane prone areas and also came with a substanial insurance policy from the Company.

If the Force10 homes built survived the storm relatively intact, it would be advisable as an alternative for rebuilding and they can be constructed relatively fast compared to a masonry structure. They also can be designed for any existing foundation/cistern.

Re: Force10 Homes Performance - St. John?

gonetropo
October 07, 2017 06:28AM

Any knowledge about this?

fdr
October 07, 2017 08:59AM

If you know where any of them are, we can try to give you some information.

stjohnjulie
October 08, 2017 09:23AM

My in-laws have a Force10 home and they are on Gifft Hill Road. Their home did well but they did lose sliders and windows. Some roof damage when the house next door lost it's roof and it tumbled off of theirs. I asked them about other Force 10 homes on St. John, I think she said there are 20 of them... and she said that most of them did well, but not all of them.

speee1dy
October 08, 2017 12:00PM

Sounds like no different from most other homes

gonetropo
October 08, 2017 05:10PM

Thanks Julie for the update. We were curious to see how they fared since this would have been the worst storm since many of them were constructed.

Would you know if David is still on island?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 05:12PM by gonetropo.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →