Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: WAPA progress on STX

daveb722
March 01, 2018 12:24PM

Not to be negative, shouldn't they have bought these in the beginning, now they have to go out and replace 6500 poles. SMH

Gator's Mom
March 01, 2018 12:50PM

The first poles erected after Irmaria were put up using FEMA disaster funding. These FEMA funded projects are about restoring to the same level of service/efficacy as before the storm. VI was completing with PR, TX, FL and other islands for replacement poles. The goal was to restore power as quickly as possible - really remarkable that it happened if you think about it.

Now, VI has received additional federal funds to harden its electric grid and replace facilities with more resilient structures. This is extraordinarily important before the next storm hits, whether this year or years from now. These facilities include electric, schools, hospitals, public/low income housing etc.

daveb722
Not to be negative, shouldn't they have bought these in the beginning, now they have to go out and replace 6500 poles. SMH

daveb722
March 01, 2018 12:59PM

Yes, that's great, but in a rush to get power back, someone should have said, wait, can we do the new poles now, let's get fema, usvi and the us gov't together and do this right. but we are talking about 2 inept gov'ts for sure.

Gator's Mom
March 01, 2018 01:28PM

You can't improve with FEMA disaster funds - you can only replace. It's about policy and purpose - not ineptitude of either government. Money wasn't available to improve until the Trump signed the disaster bill earlier this year.

[www.forbes.com]

daveb722
Yes, that's great, but in a rush to get power back, someone should have said, wait, can we do the new poles now, let's get fema, usvi and the us gov't together and do this right. but we are talking about 2 inept gov'ts for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 01:31PM by Gator's Mom.

speee1dy
March 01, 2018 02:32PM

Dave. I was curious also

Scubadoo
March 01, 2018 09:48PM

And there is still the question of when the composite poles will be available.

Alana33
March 01, 2018 11:12PM

Scubadoo
March 02, 2018 12:54AM

Alana33
[viconsortium.com]
Yeah, that's what I originally posted.

East Ender
March 02, 2018 04:33PM

They are putting composite poles on St John as we speak. wink

singlefin
March 02, 2018 06:09PM

There's no way tens of thousands of composite poles existed for the USVI, PR, FLA, TX, ECT right after Irmaria. I don't think anybody would have been up to forgoing electricity until they were all built, paid for, trucked to a port, loaded, shipped, received and finally installed.

Scubadoo
March 14, 2018 09:48PM

speee1dy
March 15, 2018 08:30AM

how many does that still leave without power?

Scubadoo
March 15, 2018 08:46AM

speee1dy

Presumably all of those are damaged buildings/weather heads that need to be repaired by owner and some may never be repaired.

speee1dy
March 15, 2018 03:22PM

any idea of the numbers

Scubadoo
speee1dy

Presumably all of those are damaged buildings/weather heads that need to be repaired by owner and some may never be repaired.

stxisbest
March 15, 2018 07:31PM

speee1dy
any idea of the numbers

Scubadoo
speee1dy

All of them? thinking happy

speee1dy
March 16, 2018 08:23AM

lol, thank you . i needed the laugh this morning.

and am surprised by her less than kind response

stxisbest
speee1dy
any idea of the numbers

Scubadoo
speee1dy

All of them? thinking happy

STTsailor
March 24, 2018 11:24AM

One interesting tidbit about WAPA is that they are very responsive to email if you report the problem and provide your details including cell phone number via website and totally unresponsive to telephone reports.

Getting WAPA voicemail and leaving the message gets 100% ignored. Emailing works!

Scubadoo
March 24, 2018 12:51PM

That's a switch. I've not gotten response to e-mail in the past.

On a related topic, anyone get a WAPA bill lately? They've not done a reading on my meter for two months and I've got a smart meter.

STTsailor
March 24, 2018 08:14PM

I have seen only one bill in January. Nothing after that.

lescooper
March 24, 2018 09:27PM

All I know for sure is that the USVI have handled the power restoration much better than Puerto Rico. I'm not suggesting that we give Governor Mapp a great big at-a-boy. But, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the restoration was carried out.

Scubadoo
March 25, 2018 12:24AM

lescooper
All I know for sure is that the USVI have handled the power restoration much better than Puerto Rico. I'm not suggesting that we give Governor Mapp a great big at-a-boy. But, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the restoration was carried out.

Yes, they did a relatively good job considering what they had to deal with. Much smaller scale to focus on than PR PR is like 25 times the size of the VI. The VI brought in roughly 800 lineman. Imagine trying to get 20,000 linemen into PR along with all the equipment. Let''s hope they make some good progress with the composite poles before next season.

islandjoan
March 25, 2018 09:50AM

Composite poles have been going up in hermon hill past couple of weeks

STTsailor
March 25, 2018 10:33AM

Credit goes to extremely hardworking mainland crews. The local WAPA guys I know and talked to were impressed by speed and efficiency of our saviors.

speee1dy
March 26, 2018 08:49AM

thats the only way i contact them. sometimes they will call you within the hour and sometimes just an email back

STTsailor
One interesting tidbit about WAPA is that they are very responsive to email if you report the problem and provide your details including cell phone number via website and totally unresponsive to telephone reports.

Getting WAPA voicemail and leaving the message gets 100% ignored. Emailing works!

speee1dy
March 26, 2018 08:51AM

im not really sure thats true. a couple of weeks ago they only had 100k without power. which really isnt bad considering the size of them compared to us and the number of customers

lescooper

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →