Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Thieves stealing copper from WAPA Transformers

Jumbie
October 12, 2017 11:04AM

In all society there are those scumbag low lifes that will try to take advantage of someone else's misfortune. So in this case, the downed utility poles caused by Hurricane Maria, made the transformers easy pickings to steel the copper from them.

[viconsortium.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 11:04AM by Jumbie.

Re: Thieves stealing copper from WAPA Transformers

islandjoan
October 12, 2017 11:16AM

I hope they get caught, and strung up by those very wires in the center of town so people can come throw rocks at them.

We need to go back to the old days when people were put in stocks and ridiculed in public.

Then people might think twice about committing these sort of crimes.

islandjoan
October 12, 2017 11:26AM

HAH! I like this one - we should do something like this here!!!!

In United States v. Gementera, the defendant was convicted of mail theft and sentenced, among other measures, to stand in front of a post office for eight hours wearing a sandwich board that read: "I stole mail. This is my punishment.”

TN_Travelers
October 12, 2017 11:33AM

Actually this is an easy problem to fix.

Even here in backwoods Tennessee where we were having a problem with people stealing back-flow preventers, they passed a law that makes recyclers/junkyards take the name and drivers license number of anyone trying to sell back-flow preventers and/or over 5 lbs of copper scrap.

Totally stopped the thefts of copper wire and back-flow preventers!

vicanuck
October 12, 2017 12:41PM

I prefer shooting thieves and looters.

daveb722
October 12, 2017 03:57PM

That's not very Canadian like. big grin

speee1dy
October 13, 2017 09:28AM

nothing new.

terry
October 13, 2017 09:38AM

rmb2830
October 13, 2017 01:01PM

TN_Travelers
Actually this is an easy problem to fix.

Even here in backwoods Tennessee where we were having a problem with people stealing back-flow preventers, they passed a law that makes recyclers/junkyards take the name and drivers license number of anyone trying to sell back-flow preventers and/or over 5 lbs of copper scrap.

Totally stopped the thefts of copper wire and back-flow preventers!

Wapa copper was being stolen for a while some time ago, but it was not being sold as scrap to anyone on island. Thought wasit likely was being shipped in a container to another location and then sold.

speee1dy
October 13, 2017 02:13PM

yes, my co worker kept having innovative disruptions due to the copper being stolen

islandjoan
October 13, 2017 02:34PM

speee1dy, ahhhh THAT'S why Innovative went out!!!!! I didn't put two and two together but that makes perfect sense.

Those tiefing SKUNTS need to be hung up by their balls!!!!

Jumbie
October 13, 2017 08:32PM

thumbs up

vicanuck
I prefer shooting thieves and looters.

10-4 on that!!

stxsailor
October 16, 2017 04:08PM

"You loot we shoot" should be the mantra here. It seems like it is "you loot, VIPD gets first crack at the stolen goods not to arrest you"

sttanon
October 19, 2017 03:27PM

It backfired for someone on STX. Been working IT support for Air Ambulance efforts. Heard that someone got airlifted out yesterday as a result of trying to thief copper. Guys was cutting a line and WAPA started energizing it. Heard the results weren't pretty.......

Scubadoo
October 19, 2017 04:01PM

sttanon
It backfired for someone on STX. Been working IT support for Air Ambulance efforts. Heard that someone got airlifted out yesterday as a result of trying to thief copper. Guys was cutting a line and WAPA started energizing it. Heard the results weren't pretty.......

Doesn't seem like WAPA would try energizing a circuit with a downed wire. Could have been a mistake. Or could have been someone's generator back feeding the wire.

Along the same lines thieves broke into the temporary VI Cargo warehouse and stole 6 new generators. That comes after they tried to break into the original warehouse and ended up setting it on fire. Now they finally have a security guard. So be on the lookout for anyone selling new generators out the back of their truck.

ICEMAN
October 19, 2017 04:18PM

“Now they finally have a security guard.”

Damn, now the Thieving Scum will have to share whatever they steal next with the guard. What a circus.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →