Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Contractors for Hurricane Shutters?

Wahoo King
January 19, 2018 06:39PM

I am trying to find a few companies that provide the installation of hurricane shutters. I am assuming they would need to come and measure an opening around our outdoor balcony and am interested in the roller type shutter. Thanks for any information, there are a couple of companies that are listed as vendors at our condo association but apparently they are very busy.

Re: Contractors for Hurricane Shutters?

Scubadoo
January 19, 2018 07:49PM

Which island?

They call them accordion shutters.

No surprise anybody who does anything with building/construction is busy right now.

At the same time that material is typically ordered and made to custom size so first thing is an appointment for measuring.

ceil
January 19, 2018 08:14PM

On STX we have used Castle Glassworks (340-773-2464) to do our accordion style and roll down shutters. We have done a few each year for several years and had all but the smallest windows done as of this past summer. (We still use plywood on small windiws). All worked great during the current hurricane season. They do need to come out and measure, then will give you a quote, as all are made to order.

Jumbie
January 19, 2018 08:15PM

The absolute best on St Croix is Castle Glass Works but they are extemely busy and are booked for months into the future.

This kind of thing requires measuring & then ordering the custom made accordion shutters. We got ours from a Florida manufacturer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 08:17PM by Jumbie.

Wahoo King
January 20, 2018 12:35PM

Thanks for the replies, this pertains to a condo on St Thomas. Basically trying to get anyone involved is nearly impossible at this point...dreading the thought of not having shutters up for the upcoming storm season.

terry
January 21, 2018 12:43PM

They are busy because they are good. If they are not bust that is someone to stay away from.

Wahoo King
January 22, 2018 10:09AM

I just called them and unfortunately they would not consider coming to St Thomas for this as they are just so busy themselves on St Croix. I understand and can only hope someone takes an interest but can't find anyone so far. If anyone reads this and knows of a reliable firm or individual on St Thomas please post, thanks.

islandjoan
January 22, 2018 10:58AM

While I don't know who handles shutters on STT I found this thread which has some info in general about shutters and suppliers:

old thread

Maybe Alana has some info about STT contractors??

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →