Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

New HOVENSA rumor

singlefin
January 22, 2018 04:37PM

In todays Consortium

Limetree Bay: There has been talk of an impending announcement by the governor relative to recent developments at the Limetree Bay Terminals. Rumors of a restart of the oil refining units on the east of the refinery have dominated local circles, with the talk being that British Petroleum, known universally as BP, taking the lead. None of this has been confirmed, however, and trusted Mapp administration sources have remained mum.

If there is in fact a major development relative to oil refining at the former HOVENSA facility, expect the governor to make it a key part of his address tonight.

Re: New HOVENSA rumor

islandjoan
January 22, 2018 11:44PM

So...did he make it a key part of his address?

vicanuck
January 23, 2018 08:49AM

Its a bit premature for the Governor to make this announcement, but, there is definitely talks going on at a high level. Expect an announcement in late March/early April.

singlefin
January 23, 2018 09:07AM

I missed about a 1/2 hour of his speech, but of what I heard, it wasn't mentioned.

I also heard of a BP rumor and a new hiring of 4000 people. Honestly, it sounds too good to be true.

Jumbie
January 23, 2018 11:42AM

Because we are bored silly due to no cable TV, our air antenna gets us 2 PBS channels. Last night 12-1 aired Gov Mapp’s State of The Territory.

If I recall correctly, he mentioned there are plans to increase the amount of product being stored, bring in larger tankers, & add more people. Currently there are 600 and will be looking to add approx 200 more. Thete was no mention of refining.. Again I’m going from memory

singlefin
January 23, 2018 04:43PM

Funny, I've got Dish, but I switch over to an old ariel antenna for the same 3 PBS stations. I caught the live 7pm one, but my son called toward the end of it.
I did hear his comments about the dredging and 600 who are now employed there, which is more folks than I thought were already there. And the over a million there getting for the rents on the old Hovensa houses. I wonder how many of those houses are occupied by FEMA and other relief workers though?

vicanuck
January 23, 2018 05:30PM

I would say there is a 70% chance of refining at this point, from what I know.

singlefin
January 23, 2018 06:03PM

I'll take those odds

rosesisland
January 24, 2018 08:01AM

I recently returned from Arkansas. While there, I too, heard the rumor. Although secondhand, my dear retired friend that one time held the most oil leases in the whole state, told me he heard from another friend high up and still in the oil industry, that rumors were flying that the refinery would reopen. He felt his source was very good. At that time, I told him I hadn't heard anything. My best guess is that time will tell eventually.

melro52
April 02, 2018 11:41AM

It's Sinopec. The deal for oil storage is with SInopec. Full use of the refinery is not happening. It would need a gut job. Only refining done is last refining process. Mostly storage facilities being used. [www.ogj.com]

And Governor Mapp first went to China in 2016 over the use of old Hovensa plant. Had nothing to do with this president.

vicanuck
April 02, 2018 12:10PM

melro52
It's Sinopec. The deal for oil storage is with SInopec. Full use of the refinery is not happening. It would need a gut job. Only refining done is last refining process. Mostly storage facilities being used. [www.ogj.com]

And Governor Mapp first went to China in 2016 over the use of old Hovensa plant. Had nothing to do with this president.

This is what happens when people reply to old posts.

janeinstx
April 02, 2018 02:54PM

Really? Meet me in the cafeteria at 3:30 and tell me all you know. ????

melro52

SkysTheLimit
April 02, 2018 02:57PM

Friend's neighbor in Texas is coming down on a 5 year deal. VP of a heat exchanger company. Hmmmm........ Lot's of heat exchangers on that property!

janeinstx
April 02, 2018 03:26PM

singlefin
April 02, 2018 03:36PM

Melro52,
That's old news, the article you attached is from January 2016.

janeinstx
April 02, 2018 03:44PM

I waited in the cafeteria for him. He didn’t show up

singlefin
Melro52,

Ca. Dreamers
April 03, 2018 08:27AM

So Jane........

Tell us Please.

CD

janeinstx
I waited in the cafeteria for him. He didn’t show up

singlefin
Melro52,

janeinstx
April 04, 2018 03:08AM

As soon as I know for sure

Ca. Dreamers
April 04, 2018 08:40AM

thumbs up

janeinstx

As soon as I know for sure

MosquitoBaitt
April 07, 2018 06:28AM

FYI -

LimeTree Bay News

~ It's Always Beer Thirty!

janeinstx
April 08, 2018 09:07PM

That is their corporate web page. No new info there. Actually it’s a little out dated wink

usvi84
April 19, 2018 09:13AM

Has anyone seen this?

[www.epa.gov]

janeinstx
April 19, 2018 01:19PM

islandjoan
April 19, 2018 02:35PM

Very interesting! Especially that janeinstx has seen it.

usvi84
Has anyone seen this?

[www.epa.gov]

janeinstx
April 19, 2018 04:18PM

I think it’s more interesting that USVI84’s first post was that

islandjoan
Very interesting! Especially that janeinstx has seen it.

usvi84
Has anyone seen this?

[www.epa.gov]

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →