Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

NEED VEHICLE - MOVING TO STX IN MARCH

dezntracey
January 30, 2018 11:31AM

Hello,

My husband and I are moving to STX in March. We are currently in STX, Christiansted East End and looking for a vehicle. What dealership(s) or car lots should we visit. Looked at the beginning of January on the last visit and only inquired on new vehicles. Months are moving by rapidly. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

DeznTracey, Christiansted STX

Re: NEED VEHICLE - MOVING TO STX IN MARCH

vicanuck
January 30, 2018 12:35PM

Metro Motors in Golden Rock
Toyota and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram on the Northside Road
Straker Motors on the Northside Road.

speee1dy
January 30, 2018 01:48PM

you dont want to bring your own vehicles?

AandA2VI
January 30, 2018 10:53PM

I would totally recommend bringing a car! Was my biggest regret when moving here.

stxsailor
February 07, 2018 11:51AM

I agree with A and A, bring your own vehicle. If you have the title all good, if not check with your bank and see if they will let you bring one. We bought a new truck and brought it down 7 years ago. Best more we made. She's still going strong.

Gator's Mom
February 07, 2018 01:08PM

We bought a used Nissan Leaf in FL to bring to STX. This low mileage all electric vehicle cost less than $11,000. You can set up a solar charging station if you live someplace that will allow this.

plindholdt
February 07, 2018 06:58PM

AandA2VI
I would totally recommend bringing a car! Was my biggest regret when moving here.

My husband and I will be moving to STX by end of summer as well. My car is a Kia so has import taxes and all of that. Why should I spend the $3000 to bring rather than sell it and buy one there? Thanks

Scubadoo
February 07, 2018 08:45PM

plindholdt
Why should I spend the $3000 to bring rather than sell it and buy one there? Thanks

Because you'll likely not find anything used on island remotely close to the one you have now unless the wheels are ready to fall off. If you do you'll pay for it. Maybe local new car is more cost effective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 08:46PM by Scubadoo.

terry
February 08, 2018 10:36AM

It is hard to get a good car on island until you have been here awhile and have good contacts . Friends can let you know about cars that their friends have that are for sale because they are buying new or leaving island.
Yes you will pay $2500 to $3000 to get a car here but the cars that are here are priced higher that what they are in Fl.

speee1dy
February 08, 2018 10:39AM

Because bringing a car you own outright is cheaper than buying a junker on island.

stxsailor
February 08, 2018 11:00AM

and you know the history of the car you bring. Do what I did before you make take it to your mechanic and tell them your moving to an island so fix anything that remotely needs fixing. Oh and buy new tires.

LiquidFluoride
February 08, 2018 04:29PM

plindholdt
AandA2VI

My husband and I will be moving to STX by end of summer as well. My car is a Kia so has import taxes and all of that. Why should I spend the $3000 to bring rather than sell it and buy one there? Thanks

I've bought 5 cars locally, 2 have worked out, all cost far more than they would in the states.

I'd say bring a car.

stxisbest
February 08, 2018 08:23PM

stxsailor
and you know the history of the car you bring. Do what I did before you make take it to your mechanic and tell them your moving to an island so fix anything that remotely needs fixing. Oh and buy new tires.

and ball joints, tie rods, control arms , shocks, and--------thinking

ironheadUSVI
February 09, 2018 08:13AM

terry
It is hard to get a good car on island until you have been here awhile and have good contacts . Friends can let you know about cars that their friends have that are for sale because they are buying new or leaving island.
Yes you will pay $2500 to $3000 to get a car here but the cars that are here are priced higher that what they are in Fl.

I paid $1700 two months ago, pickup truck from South Florida with Tropical Shipping.

terry
February 09, 2018 11:01AM

If it was not made in the US, you will have to pay tax.

AandA2VI
February 09, 2018 07:32PM

plindholdt
AandA2VI

The fact you’re asking this means you’ve really not read much of the information here. Widely suggested to bring your own car. Use the search function at da top. And I doubt it’ll be 3k. If it is - it’s worth it. You’ll put that into an island ride in a year. Unless you’re rich and want to buy new with warentee.

singlefin
February 11, 2018 02:58PM

Take into consideration where you'll be living, working, ect.

There are lots of dirt/mud roads, private roads, and questionable paved roads.

Nearly every road has a grade, a hill, or would be classified as a cliff elsewhere.

Add a torrential downpour.

Bring something all-wheel drive / 4 wheel drive with decent ground clearance. You'll not have access to lots of areas without it.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →