Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

opting out of GERS

crosscr
February 19, 2018 03:40PM

Does anyone know if teachers here can opt out of contributing to GERS? My wife is in her first year as a public school teacher and is forced to contribute 11.5% of her pay to this fund. I don't really like having the government here handle this. Her union rep is not much help. Thanks for any info.

Re: opting out of GERS

ironheadUSVI
February 19, 2018 04:10PM

crosscr
Does anyone know if teachers here can opt out of contributing to GERS? My wife is in her first year as a public school teacher and is forced to contribute 11.5% of her pay to this fund. I don't really like having the government here handle this. Her union rep is not much help. Thanks for any info.

The fund will be insolvent in 2022, yet the beat goes on. I believe the answer is no. She is effectively up the creek.

vicanuck
February 19, 2018 05:34PM

If she leaves her government of the VI employment before her 10 year anniversary, she can get her money out because it won't be vested until after 10 years. Beyond that, you're out of luck.

In all likelihood, you both will have grown tired of the island by then and will have moved on to greener pastures.

FLLisa
February 22, 2018 02:21PM

I almost ended up teaching there a year or so ago. I think you can opt out if you're 55 and up, which probably doesn't apply to your wife.

vicanuck
February 23, 2018 08:23AM

The risk now is that, even if you're not vested, the GERS program will collapse within the next few years.

Unless you want to lose a good portion of what you put in, don't take a job with a government entity.

Its unlikely the Feds will prop up GERS with a cash injection after so many years of mismanagement.

Alana33
February 24, 2018 09:35AM

It's highly unlikely you'll ever see your money, unfortunately.

[viconsortium.com]

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →