Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Post Irmaria Restaurant Reviews

MistB’Haven
February 19, 2018 08:30PM

Let’s start a new thread with recent reviews of restaurants that are open for business post IrMaria. (I’m looking for recommendations for a nice place for a special birthday dinner this week.). But in the meantime, here’s my start.

Shupes has cold beer and great burgers.

Mermaid at the Buc has a great lunch conch salad and flatbread, and a good, slightly spicey, Bloody Mary.

Off The Wall is back! Always great food and drinks.

Louie and Nachos in F’sted has great tacos and ice cold beer with amazing views.

Savant is still awesome, but a bit more expensive (I haven’t been there for two years) and not as much fun with the semi-permanent roof on the courtyard. I realize this is necessary but was oh so charming in the open air.

The taco truck at the bypass is a bit spendy but Fresh! and good and has ice cold beer.

Anyone else?

Re: Post Irmaria Restaurant Reviews

lescooper
February 19, 2018 08:47PM

On the Boardwalk, Rum Runners and Angry Nates never disappoint. As much as I wanted to like Balter's, have been disappointed all 3 times we've been there. Small portions, high price and not that good of food. We also love Savant, but Blue Water Terrace has become our favorite. Great food, large portions at a reasonable price.

Scubadoo
February 19, 2018 09:10PM

singlefin
February 19, 2018 11:06PM

Blue Water Terrace, I think they only closed for the day of and day after each hurricane. Because they're off grid, they kept the lights on, the doors open and the stove lit for anyone who needed a good meal throughout it all.

Good people, great food.

bathiel
February 19, 2018 11:14PM

I've been really impressed with the reboot of Brew STX. The beers I've had in the past few weeks have been very good--stateside quality, I think, which isn't something I've been able to say in a long time about them. And the brand-new menu is really, really good. Congrats to Shupe for breathing new life into what had become a stagnant venue.

I also really enjoy BES. The food's always interesting and the cocktails are great. And Jenn's done a really great job of transforming the old Tavern 1844 space (including, thankfully, a redo of the formerly abysmal bathrooms). I'm really digging the fresh-from-scratch soups, especially.

Bernie

stjohnjulie
February 20, 2018 03:40AM

On St John, most of the restaurants have been nailing it. They are making creatuve use if the freshest ingredients they can get. Not having a set menu seems to be working for a lot of them. And There has been some spectacular fresh fish and lobster. Had an outstanding meal at Ocean 362 a couple of weeks ago. Banana Deck, Longboard, and La Tapa were all on point as well.

sttanon
February 20, 2018 07:21AM

Promising to heard about brewpub, when I lived in STT it was always a first stop but enev before I moved over post storm beer was not great... Cheeseburgers is just down the street from me and is always good for what they do. Havent gotten in to many of the fine dining spots yet but Galangal has for years been one of my faves. Food is always awesome and though it sounds strange try a bottle of their estate german white with their curry, combo from heaven ! ! !

caribstx
February 20, 2018 08:16AM

I ate at Flyers in Salt River last Saturday night with a group of friends. The atmosphere was nice and it was a cool evening with a good breeze. The waitress was somewhat attentive but could have been a bit more on the ball with drink re-orders throughout the evening.

I ordered the burger which was enormous and only "just okay" from a taste perspective. I could only get about half way through it.

Sadly, I woke up early the next morning with explosive diarrhea that lasted through Monday.

Was it the burger? I'll never know. But, I won't be ordering it again.

GW7569
February 20, 2018 09:09AM

Toast Diner downtown has a really nice (and tasty) breakfast menu - haven't tried lunch there yet - reasonably priced.
Blues Backyard BBQ entire menu is delicious, reasonably priced and the beer is almost too cold to hold~!

islandjoan
February 20, 2018 09:16AM

HOLY CRAP!
that sucks!

caribstx

Sadly, I woke up early the next morning with explosive diarrhea that lasted through Monday.

Was it the burger? I'll never know. But, I won't be ordering it again.

Jumbie
February 20, 2018 10:07AM

So far in past 2 months, we have had bar menu food @ The Palms Restaurant (Pelican Cove) on 4 different occasions. It has been very good every time.

Went to Toast Diner Sunday (Kings Alley- Christiansted) Sunday morning & our breakfasts were outstanding (Hashbrown Casserole & Sausage Gravy & Biscuits). Their Bloody Mary’s are the bomb, taste & presentation wise.

speee1dy
February 21, 2018 03:37PM

I have been updating the st Croix restaurant thread when I try somewhere new and have a great or not so great experience.

Scubadoo
February 21, 2018 09:27PM

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →