Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Mountain Biking

singlefin
February 24, 2018 01:45PM

I finally got my mountain bike delivered!
My father tore up Sedona AZ with it and now that he's 75, he's dropped back to road biking. Ironically enough, it's a Santa Cruz.
Is there more than just Freedom City Bicycles in Fredricksted for parts and accessories?
Thx

Re: Mountain Biking

ernieandmaryjo
February 27, 2018 11:38AM

There's a store (can't remember the name) on the road to Seaborne in Christiansted, on the corner on the right side near the shanty. They sell fishing gear and marine supplies as well as bikes and bike parts/supplies.

islandjoan
February 27, 2018 12:18PM

I believe it's called Valmy Thomas but don't remember if it even has a sign.

singlefin
February 27, 2018 08:14PM

I'll check it out.
Thanks

RevFD
February 27, 2018 11:47PM

Not sure what parts you need, but Santa Cruz parts are hard to come by even from their own dealers. I usually order from the company directly.

gvsu09cj
February 28, 2018 10:18AM

Out of curiousity, are you using your MTB on the road or are there off road MTB trails to ride on? How are the roads on STX for a road bike?

I am contemplating relocating down there and these are two things I enjoy doing. Thanks.

RevFD
February 28, 2018 02:35PM

There are hiking trails and plenty of dirt roads to ride on. Lots of steep hills. Not sure if there are any man-made or designated mtb trails. I would ask on the VI Bike and Trails group on FB.

I imagine road biking is a bit sketchy since most roads are twisty and narrow, have no shoulders, and tons of potholes that eat skinny tires. Personally, I would only ride early AM and in a group for visibility. I've seen people riding on the East End, but never looked into it since my road bike is off island.

Bombi
February 28, 2018 03:11PM

Get some Kevlar tires as the kasha thorns are everywhere. I bought them through Walmart, tubes too.

optimist with low expectations on STX

islandjoan
February 28, 2018 03:26PM

kasha thorns = Acacia thorns

RevFD
February 28, 2018 03:51PM

Excellent point! (Especially if riding tubeless.)

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →