Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Post-Maria insurance + repair success stories on STX?

islandjoan
March 15, 2018 09:22AM

I was one of the fortunate ones who did not have any property damage from Maria, for which I will always be thankful.

Looking ahead to the future, it would be beneficial to know who has had great success with the people they have worked with on STX to get their repairs done.

If you had a good experience, please share the names of your:

• insurers,
• adjusters, and
• contractors
• suppliers (if from off island)

Re: Post-Maria insurance + repair success stories on STX?

speee1dy
March 15, 2018 03:21PM

we didnt have any damage either. lucky beyond belief, especially watching the roof breathe all night

singlefin
March 15, 2018 05:42PM

I don't think that much work has really gotten done on residential jobs yet. The contractors are grabbing at all the big money right now (government/commercial/buisnesses - FEMA paid)

islandjoan
March 15, 2018 06:41PM

Yeah that could be but I've heard of a few people making repairs already.

I was also asking about insurers and adjusters.

Ca. Dreamers
March 16, 2018 08:16AM

No damage or claim here,

Have friends that are insured by AARP Real Legacy and report that have been treated much better than expected both by adjusters and company.

CD

Darrin
March 16, 2018 11:08AM

USAA was awesome. They paid out my claim, and both of my son's claims quickly. A simple spreadsheet was all that was needed, and we were paid in less than three weeks on our renters policy. They even made sure they paid for food in the fridge that went bad. thumbs up

lily1025
March 16, 2018 02:48PM

wow! i am so glad to hear that.others hve not been that lucky.

vicanuck
March 16, 2018 04:25PM

I'm working with a public adjuster. No settlement yet but soon come. Very happy we went with a public adjuster to represent our interests. I'll be even happier when I get the check.

SkysTheLimit
March 16, 2018 04:47PM

vicanuck
I'm working with a public adjuster. No settlement yet but soon come. Very happy we went with a public adjuster to represent our interests. I'll be even happier when I get the check.

So are we. Real Legacy sent an adjuster from Spain that told us we would not meet our deductible. Public adjuster told us "nonsense". He was able to point out damage we didn't think about. Waiting for the detailed report after having the adjuster, an engineer, and an estimator put their heads together. Patiently waiting for a check we almost didn't get...

vicanuck
March 16, 2018 04:59PM

SkysTheLimit
vicanuck

So are we. Real Legacy sent an adjuster from Spain that told us we would not meet our deductible. Public adjuster told us "nonsense". He was able to point out damage we didn't think about. Waiting for the detailed report after having the adjuster, an engineer, and an estimator put their heads together. Patiently waiting for a check we almost didn't get...

Totally agree Sky...the public adjuster was awesome. Best thing I've ever done.

quirion
March 16, 2018 11:51PM

Darrin
USAA was awesome. They paid out my claim, and both of my son's claims quickly. A simple spreadsheet was all that was needed, and we were paid in less than three weeks on our renters policy. They even made sure they paid for food in the fridge that went bad. thumbs up

Hmmm USAA wouldn't insure us here.....

Darrin
March 17, 2018 07:23AM

USAA does renters and auto insurance, but does not offer home insurance.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →