Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Nature Noise

ms411
June 06, 2018 10:06PM

If you're considering a move to VI you should inquire about noise when considering lodging.

Critter noise has increased in my St Thomas neighborhood after the storms. It used to be only an occasional rooster but now feral cats mating noises are driving me crazy. Don't know if they have limited mating season.

There were other critters making loud annoying noises before the storms (cicadas?) so be aware. I don't know how big an issue it is in other neighborhoods but it bothers me where I live and can't do anything about it.

Re: Nature Noise

Scubadoo
June 07, 2018 12:10AM

Coqui; not just a beach

rosesisland
June 07, 2018 06:43AM

With my mini-split on high and three loud fans going, not ceiling fans, we hear no noise but the white noise of air circulating.

ms411
June 07, 2018 07:03AM

Closing windows keeps the noise down, but we don't like air conditioning. The nature noise is much louder than my fan.

People used to complain about the roosters, but there seem to be more noises since the storms. Haven't noticed much rooster crows lately. The cats were more annoying than the roosters.

vicanuck
June 07, 2018 08:21AM

I suppose you could always move somewhere else.

islandjoan
June 07, 2018 09:39AM

I cannot remember if you are on STX or STT

You should try to borrow traps and catch the cats and take them to get spayed and neutered.

ms411
The cats were more annoying than the roosters.

ms411
June 07, 2018 10:35AM

Thanks, but I'm not looking for recommendations. I posted to alert people who want to relocate that it may be noisier here than where they live.

Also the noise could be an issue with vacation rentals. I know of a few in my neighborhood but don't know if noise reached them.

Somebody may have taken care of cat noise at night. I haven't heard it lately.

Exit Zero
June 07, 2018 12:04PM

It is the incessant barking dogs, night and day, that bothers me.
How the owners can allow or even put up with it themselves is beyond my understanding.
There is even a property in my neighborhood with multiple dogs chained and housed in a property with no house on it. I guess they want to raise dogs but NOT near where they live and could hear them all night long?
The number of dogs that roam free all the time doesn't help either.
Coquis are loud, but have no owners responsible for their behavior!!

Scubadoo
June 07, 2018 09:29PM

I agree the barking dogs across the street are the worst. At least it's not 24hrs a day but it seems to start up at the drop of a pin.

seeya
June 10, 2018 05:40PM

islandjoan
I cannot remember if you are on STX or STT

You should try to borrow traps and catch the cats and take them to get spayed and neutered.

ms411
The cats were more annoying than the roosters.

You are so kind....I thought your sentence would end with a less human approach.

Try staying in Tijuana during feral cat mating season. Nooooo sleep for anyone!

Alana33
June 11, 2018 05:57AM

They have a great trap, neuter and release program in STT. You can get info from St. Thomas Humane Society as well as Lucky Paws.
I've trapped and neutered quite a few strays over the years that become outdoor kitties. Most weren't wild, just abandoned.

East Ender
June 11, 2018 07:59AM

It is unfortunate that we do not have a true animal control department. There are too many feral animals, abused animals, and unwanted animals around. Feral cats should not be re-released. They kill birds, lizards and snakes which are native species and actually have an important place in the ecosystem. And I keep hoping someone will trap and kill the chickens and roosters! It will take a good bird flu epidemic to get Health to develop a plan.

Scubadoo
June 11, 2018 09:07PM

We lost a lot of dem hens and roosters in Maria. Nice for a change.

AandA2VI
June 12, 2018 08:48AM

Lol. Yea when you come to the tropics you’d expect tropical sounds. MUCH better than ambulances and screaming police sirens of the states.

When I travel I can’t sleep without my VI sounds. Found an app that sounds really similar and helps me sleep when I’m away.

ms411
June 12, 2018 07:19PM

The first sound I heard after the winds died down was a rooster crowing, but I think there are fewer in my neighborhood after the storm. Cats took their place and they are much worse!

I guess if you have air conditioning you hear less noise, but I love fresh air.

stjohnjulie
June 14, 2018 03:40AM

LOL! Every time I travel to the states my ears ring with silence while I try to sleep in a temperature and sound controlled environment. The ACC on STJ did a pretty fantastic job of collecting cats after the storms. A lot of them were shipped off island to no kill shelters in the states. I have two new cats that adopted us post storms. One just showed up a couple of weeks ago. I have yet to catch that one (or even get close to it) for spay/neutering which they do for free on Thursdays here. The frogs is what I used to hear the most. With the installation of the new bright street lights, I don't hear them anymore. The roosters moved out of the yard since we lost our trees. And I don't think they like the street lights either. It's a LOT quieter around my house these days.

JahRustyFerrari
June 14, 2018 07:42AM

AandA2VI
Lol. Yea when you come to the tropics you’d expect tropical sounds. MUCH better than ambulances and screaming police sirens of the states.

When I travel I can’t sleep without my VI sounds. Found an app that sounds really similar and helps me sleep when I’m away.

Thank you. I much prefer the sounds of the tropics. I'm amazed at the things people complain about. I'm from St. Croix, currently in Florida.Unless you're out in the boondocks somewhere, don't try to tell me that St. Croix is noisier. Heck, I was staying with family in a subdivision that bordered railroad tracks. LOL

Alana33
June 14, 2018 02:34PM

My pet peeve is still chickens and roosters. When I got back to deal with home repairs, 3 roosters and 6 hens had taken up residence in our small neighborhood. However, they liked to roost in the trees below my deck. Noisey little buggers!

Crapping and crowing on my doorstep and soon to multiply!

I found a rooster wrangler to trap and remove as I had no time to deal with trapping them myself.

Trap and spay wild cats.
They majority aren't feral.

I simply don't understand how people can or will allow their dogs to bark all night or day for that matter.

Miss the coqiues, crickets, birds and ocean sounds.

AandA2VI
June 15, 2018 09:23PM

stjohnjulie
LOL! Every time I travel to the states my ears ring with silence while I try to sleep in a temperature and sound controlled environment. The ACC on STJ did a pretty fantastic job of collecting cats after the storms. A lot of them were shipped off island to no kill shelters in the states. I have two new cats that adopted us post storms. One just showed up a couple of weeks ago. I have yet to catch that one (or even get close to it) for spay/neutering which they do for free on Thursdays here. The frogs is what I used to hear the most. With the installation of the new bright street lights, I don't hear them anymore. The roosters moved out of the yard since we lost our trees. And I don't think they like the street lights either. It's a LOT quieter around my house these days.

YES!!! Ring with silence! Perfect description. I don’t lie it at all. So weird.

stjohnjulie
June 16, 2018 03:27AM

I usually stay with my folks when I go off island. After I met my electrician husband one of his first vacation projects was to install ceiling fans in the three bedrooms of their home that didn't have them. Made sleeping there a lot easier for all of us who are used to lots of nighttime sounds at bedtime.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →