Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Sweet Lime HOA

Fishbait
June 17, 2018 10:25AM

GM all,
Anyone have any experience with the Sweet Lime HOA? We are under contract for a stand alone condo and wondering if they are more of a laid back or strict HOA.
Thanks!

Re: Sweet Lime HOA

SkysTheLimit
June 17, 2018 10:43AM

There are two Sweetlime condo associations. Which one?

AandA2VI
June 17, 2018 12:31PM

HOA in the VI? Oh man, you’re asking for it! You couldn’t pay Ken to live in a VI HOA. Even stateside they’re the worst.

Fishbait
June 17, 2018 03:46PM

Sweet Lime 2. Thanks.

Scubadoo
June 17, 2018 08:07PM

Um, you are under contract and haven't reviewed the HOA by-laws and annual budget yet? Your realtor should have gotten that stuff for you to review before ever submitting an offer. You need to make sure the HOA is in good financial shape and there aren't any major capital assessments on the horizon.

And HOA fees are usually in the MLS listing, didn't the realtor give you a copy of the listing?

For example

Sweet Lime II 28 River PR 00840, Miscellaneous: Insurance Amt: 4,660; Insurance Remarks: Annual; Condo Fee Amt: 2,520; Condo Fee Remarks: Quarterly; Unit Location: Walk In; General Condition: Excellent; Pets Considered: Yes; Type of Pets: HOA Approval needed

Sweet Lime II 17 River PR 00840, Miscellaneous: Insurance Amt: 4,070; Insurance Remarks: Annual; Condo Fee Amt: 2,590; Condo Fee Remarks: Quarterly; Other Fee Rmks: Quarterly - CPOA; General Condition: Excellent

Condo HOAs are a necessary evil but have very real things to manage as opposed to a neighborhood HOA with nothing better to do than tell you what color you can paint your house or how tall the grass has to be.

islandjoan
June 17, 2018 11:35PM

Fish bait was asking if they are laid back or strict which would depend upon the rules and regulations and how well they are enforced by the general manager as well as how the board of directors enforce them. Of course BOD change every 2 to 5 years depending on the condo association, so some BODs could be full of jerks and others can be comprised of people who truly want to help. You should ask for the rules and regulations as well as the bylaws if the realtor did not get them for you.

Fishbait
GM all,
Anyone have any experience with the Sweet Lime HOA? We are under contract for a stand alone condo and wondering if they are more of a laid back or strict HOA.
Thanks!

Scubadoo
June 18, 2018 12:41AM

See if you can get copies of HOA owner's meeting or board meeting minutes. That may give you an idea of how strict they are i.e. fines, or rules enforcement. If they can't provide soft or hard copies ask if you can review them at the office.

Anonny-mouse
June 18, 2018 03:46AM

In Carambola there is the CPOA made up of all property owners in the community including the condos plus the surrounding neighborhoods like Prosperity Ridge, Hibiscus Point, Ginger Hills, etc, and then within that each condo association also has its own HOA. Condo owners pay dues to both the CPOA (mostly goes towards gate, utilities and roads) and HOA (for maintenance and upkeep within each sub-community). Although the dues seem steep, for what you get (security, privacy, swimming pools, tennis courts, croquet, grilling areas, landscaping, walk to play golf, etc) it costs the same or more to maintain an equivalent private home on island so it’s not a bad deal.

As far as whether the HOA is strict or laid back, the answer is that it depends on your perspective. No one is going to slap a notice on your door because you left the beach towels outside on your porch to dry for an hour, but paint your house pink or throw a loud dance party every weekend and the HOA will probably step in.

I would recommend having your realtor put you in touch with someone on the HOA board. In my experience most people in the community are approachable and it’s likely someone could answer any questions you have over a drink at the Club House if that helps.

Fishbait
June 18, 2018 10:52AM

We are going to let the lawyer look at the books. We already know the fees and insurance. I read the by-laws and they seem a bit vague beyond the usual "you are responsible for, we are responsible for" etc. So that is why I was asking.

Fishbait
June 18, 2018 10:55AM

Yes, that helps, thanks. As I replied to somebody else, we reviewed the fees and I read the by-laws online, which seem a little vague. Asking for meeting minutes is a good idea. Thanks!

Scubadoo
June 18, 2018 09:36PM

The HOA may also have some rules that's aren't in the by-laws. Ours does. Ask them.

Fishbait
June 19, 2018 03:00PM

Scubadoo
The HOA may also have some rules that's aren't in the by-laws. Ours does. Ask them.

Thanks, we will. We heard it is pouring rain in the west today, that's good!

heavyd
June 20, 2018 11:50AM

My wife checked the books at our condo when we first bought and she revealed some things to the board and they just looked at her as if to say "you found that out?" Some board members didn't know how to read the statements they were publishing for everyone to read and digest ,but were still there, wouldn't leave the place.

Fishbait
June 22, 2018 10:54AM

Update: I had already seen the docs online, (rules, etc. not minutes) I emailed the HOA manager a few days ago and yesterday I got a call back from a very nice gentleman in Massachusetts who is the HOA president. He answered a bunch of my questions about on going "common elements" maintenance and repair, any assessments coming, insurance, etc. I really appreciated that call.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →