Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

new property tax bills coming in mail

rmb2830
July 06, 2018 11:37AM

Haven't received ours yet, but the new property tax bills are coming, and they tell me no discount as we used to receive for early payment.

Apparently these have to be paid before Sept 28 to avoid late penalties.

Re: new property tax bills coming in mail

Alana33
July 06, 2018 02:51PM

Yep! Discount days are over.
Pay up while you wait for your VIIRB tax refunds.

sunshinefun
July 06, 2018 04:44PM

Property taxes are so low here its almost a pleasure to pay them!

Alana33
July 07, 2018 05:47AM

From Daily News today:

The 2018 Property Tax Bills are being issued to all property owners on record as of Jan. 1, 2018, and there are some changes in effect after the devastation of hurricanes Irma and Maria.

The 2018 bills will become due on July 28, and property owners whose structural damage information has been reviewed will see reassessments on their 2018 bills. The Office of the Tax Assessor will continue its efforts to review all structural damage information submitted for the first time by July 28, according to a statement issued by the Lieutenant Governor’s Office.

The minimum tax of $360 is implemented, as per Act 7984, when credits reduce taxes below the $360 amount.

Property tax bills can be paid online at the Office of the Lieutenant Governor’s website at [propertytax.vi.gov]. However, payment plans must still be made through the Office of the Tax Collector.

The 2018 bill also will include information on unpaid tax years. Property owners who have not paid their prior tax year bills should contact the Office of the Tax Collector to make arrangements for payment.

Payments can be made at the following locations:

St. John: Islandia Building at 18-23 Enighed, 340-776-6737.

St. Thomas: Builders Emporium at 52E-1 Estate Thomas, 340-776-8505

St. Croix: Government House in Christiansted, 340-773-6449; 1131 King St., Suite 101 in Christiansted, 340-773-6459; the Finance Department in Sunny Isle, 340-773-6449; and the Lagoon Street Commercial Building No. 1 in Frederiksted, 340-772-3115.

Questions regarding property tax delinquencies should be addressed to the Tax Collector’s office at 340-776-8505 on St. Thomas; 340-776-6737 on St. John; or 340-773-6449 on St. Croix.

Questions regarding Waste Management user fees should be referred to the offices of Waste Management Authority at 340-715-9100 for St. Thomas and St. John and at 340-712-4962 for St. Croix.

daveb722
July 07, 2018 06:38AM

I'd pay these all day long, my taxes in rural NY outside of Buffalo are considered low at 4k. I own a small 4 unit apartment building closer to the city and the taxes there are just over 8k. I understand the difference in what you get, but my daily commute is a road that is much worse than many of the roads on STX. I also don't mind dropping off my garbage, other than snow plowing, not sure what I really get for my tax dollars.... confused smiley

Fishbait
July 10, 2018 10:15AM

daveb722
I'd pay these all day long, my taxes in rural NY outside of Buffalo are considered low at 4k. I own a small 4 unit apartment building closer to the city and the taxes there are just over 8k. I understand the difference in what you get, but my daily commute is a road that is much worse than many of the roads on STX. I also don't mind dropping off my garbage, other than snow plowing, not sure what I really get for my tax dollars.... confused smiley

Agree 100%. Although I'm sure there are plenty of people who are having issues making ends meet and need any help they can get.

Of course, our condo exterior + interior insurance is going to be at least 5x what we pay for a house in NY, so it kind of evens out.

islandjoan
July 10, 2018 10:56AM

It kinda sucks for me, because my homestead credit used to wipe out my property tax bill, leaving a zero bill.

So it was not necessary to have funds escrowed into my mortgage payment.

Now they are going to have to refigure my mortgage payments, building in the $.

And I'll probably have to pay this bill at once, whenever my mortgage company gets the bill from the VI and then notifies me.

Why the mortgage company doesn't let me get billed directly and pay directly to the VI, I don't know.

Alana33
July 10, 2018 01:36PM

It's better if you can pay directly, indeed. My mortgage company allows me to do so.

There have been horror stories about banks collecting payments but not paying either taxes or insurance and you might not necessarily know if you're not getting the bills directly, until you go to sell or file a claim.

Gator's Mom
July 10, 2018 02:00PM

You can go to the attached VI tax bill link to check to see if your mortgage company has paid. It's also an option for anyone that, for some reason, doesn't receive a tax bill to see how much is owed.

[propertytax.vi.gov]

islandjoan
July 10, 2018 02:29PM

thanks! Yeah I do go on there to check.

Tho' I haven't owed in quite a few years, but now do.

This new tax scheme will result in lots of extra $$ for the VI govt.

Gator's Mom
You can go to the attached VI tax bill link to check to see if your mortgage company has paid. It's also an option for anyone that, for some reason, doesn't receive a tax bill to see how much is owed.

[propertytax.vi.gov]

daveb722
July 10, 2018 10:45PM

I got 2 separate bills in the mail, exactly the same, how much is that costing them?

Scubadoo
July 11, 2018 12:10AM

daveb722
I got 2 separate bills in the mail, exactly the same, how much is that costing them?

Postage. Lot's of possible reasons for duplicate mailings in general. Sometimes the printer backs up and reprints a small number of statements. Or the print room may have accidentally printed the same job twice. Likely the printing and mailing is outsourced to a mail shop in which case the duplicates are not costing the VI anything.

Scubadoo
September 08, 2018 09:43PM

Anybody try paying the property tax bill online? The bill says to use an http: address. I thought that was odd looking at it since it's not a secure address. Well, that address doesn't work. Need to use https: as I expected.

Alana33
September 08, 2018 10:23PM

I paid online on a credit card that I get miles on.
Received an immediate response that payment acknowledged
Print your receipt.

Scubadoo
September 08, 2018 10:41PM

Alana33
I paid online on a credit card that I get miles on.
Received an immediate response that payment acknowledged
Print your receipt.

and what URL did you end up using?

Alana33
September 09, 2018 05:45PM

Can't remember.
I paid it as soon as I received it.
You can call them and they'll provide the link. That's what I did.
Very nice lady helped me.

caribstx
September 10, 2018 09:17AM

Paying property taxes here is a joy. Probably the lowest in the nation.

Alana33
September 10, 2018 10:13AM

We also get very little to nothing in return.

Scubadoo
September 10, 2018 11:03AM

Like I said, using https works it's just not what's on the bill

caribstx
September 10, 2018 11:22AM

Alana33
We also get very little to nothing in return.

I've gotten used to that so now I don't care.

Alana33
September 10, 2018 11:26AM

Scubadoo
Like I said, using https works it's just not what's on the bill

Then call them.
I found them very helpful.
Questions regarding property should be addressed to the Tax Collector’s office at 340-776-8505 on St. Thomas; 340-776-6737 on St. John; or 340-773-6449 on St. Croix.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →