Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Hurricane Beryl

speee1dy
July 06, 2018 11:39AM

i hope everyone is prepared for this little storm. should only be a tropical storm but you never know.

Re: Hurricane Beryl

islandjoan
July 06, 2018 11:54AM

I know! Hopefully it will stay south, as forecast. One good thing is that forecasting direction has been very accurate lately, as in 2017....whereas forecasting intensity is more iffy.

If it follows the current path, I feel really bad for Dominica!!!

From Lisette Stevens on Dominica, as posted on stormcarib July 3 (I am waiting to see what she says today or tomorrow):

It has been a while since I have posted! We are now in the hurricane season big time. The Sahara dust is excellent for keeping hurricanes at bay. We had hurricane Maria after the Sahara dust left last year! Scary!

Dominica is really green again we have a lot of growth on our trees. We are seeing more parrots and bats which is fabulous. We even see small avocados forming on our trees! We also have eaten our own bananas, to die for.

There are still alot of homes which need repairing, it seems that it is difficult getting materials so we hear. This is very distressing for a lot of people. We pray we are hurricane free this season as it would be tragic for so many folks here.

The weather has actually been quite comfortable, we have had a couple of tropical waves which bought rain, wind and sunshine. Great for growing crops.

Have a great rest of the week.

speee1dy
July 06, 2018 11:58AM

thats the bad thing here too, so many homes have not been repaired yet

stxsailor
July 06, 2018 01:09PM

I'm still going to prepare as if it will hit us as a hurricane. I'm going to think of it as my "practice run"

Fishbait
July 06, 2018 01:18PM

We're not there yet but our thoughts are with you all season! God bless!

speee1dy
July 06, 2018 01:24PM

yeah, im going to have hubby shut some of the shutters.

stxsailor
I'm still going to prepare as if it will hit us as a hurricane. I'm going to think of it as my "practice run"

islandjoan
July 06, 2018 01:35PM

Lisette from Dominica posted:

Dominica is on Beryl watch! Looks like we will be in her path, Sunday through to Monday. We need hurricane Beryl like we need a hole in our head!

Listening to the weather reports on our local weather station we are being told that Beryl will be down graded to a tropical storm, even so 12" of rainfall is being predicted. This could be a catastrophy for Dominica with all our river's and mountains.

Many Dominicans homes still need repairing. We are all praying that Beryl decides to be kind to us all, including our neighbour islands.

It is advisable that we do a very good shop.

Good luck to us all. It is just too early in the season!

And YES folks all around the NE Caribbean still don't have roofs. I hope Beryl is kind to us all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2018 02:07PM by islandjoan.

speee1dy
July 06, 2018 03:05PM

me too

AandA2VI
July 06, 2018 09:04PM

And all the debris that’s not been taken care of from homes in need of repair. How about the galvanized pile near red hook??? Holy F that’s gonna be a disaster! Typical VI government, no plan. We have hurricane season every year.

stjohnjulie
July 07, 2018 01:41AM

Yeah, there is still a lot of garbage and debris around. I wish they would have extended the roadside pickup of it until the job was done. Plenty of people who didn't have the funds to get the job done until they had the funds or some help and that is just starting to happen for some people on STJ. I personally still have a pile that needs to go to the dump. Had a truck, and then help, but after 4 loads they cut us off at the transfer station and said we couldn't bring any more until they made more room.

At work, things get tricky. We always have to be safe rather than sorry. The scaffolding needs to come down and secured. Then hopefully we can put it back up and continue with the rebuilds. Still so many people here with no roof, blue roof, waiting on roof metal, doors and windows. Things are still quite fragile and I don't know how that could even hope to improve in the next several months.

But like stx said, hopefully, this is just a good practice run. I thought we'd have a little more time before we got to this point but it is what it is.

Alana33
July 07, 2018 05:29AM

[viconsortium.com]

Hopefully, this will prove true but it's a wake up call, indeed, to be prepared as best we can.

The VI is not prepared.
Most of the shelters were damaged or destroyed. They haven't identified any new ones (that I'm aware of) for all those who are still awaiting repairs to their homes.

Last I heard the plan was "evacuating people off island!"

So much for prior, proper planning by Mapp and our VI government.
Let's have a fish fry!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2018 05:30AM by Alana33.

Alana33
July 07, 2018 05:38AM

sttanon
July 07, 2018 11:59AM

This is 95-96 all over again, Beryl due to hit about samt time to the day that Bertha did...

Alana33
July 07, 2018 02:47PM

Glad Beryl downgraded to TS.
To pass 89 miles S, SW of STX with winds of 45 mph extending out 35 mi.
Hope it stays that way!

Jumbie
July 08, 2018 12:05PM

Currently a TS, Beryl could very well be downgraded further to a Tropical Depression within next 24 hours.

singlefin
July 08, 2018 01:21PM

I think your all freaking out way too early in the season. You need to give people here far more credit. It’s been nearly a year since ”Irmaria”.

This storm is quite insignificant, in fact it’s a blessing. We really need the rain!

stxem
July 08, 2018 01:26PM

“Insignificant” is not the best of terms to use when many people still don’t have a roof...for those people, winds of 50mph are quite significant.

singlefin
July 08, 2018 02:30PM

Currently, the highest winds from this “tropical depression” are forecasted 25-35mph on STX. That’s from the marine report, over open water.

The full-time residents of these islands are more resilient, and far more capable, than you’ve been led to believe.

Bring on the rain!

stxem
July 08, 2018 03:18PM

I am a full time resident (for the past 15 years). I consider myself to be highly resilient and capable of dealing with s**t.

Doesn’t change the fact that I also have some empathy for those that are genuinely concerned for their homes (and that concern doesn’t make THEM any less capable or resilient). My neighbor and best friend has a blue tarp over her roof right now. Losing that in a 35mph sustained wind and 2-3 inches of rain would cause even more damage to the inside of her home, not to mention emotional stress and anguish.

But if I have to explain to someone why that is a difficult situation to be in, and why some people do consider this storm to be “significant” and “of concern,” I’m wasting my breath. You just don’t/won’t get it.

speee1dy
July 08, 2018 04:52PM

And when i posted this on friday beryl was a cat 2 with the posibility of growing stronger. It doesnt hurt to be prepared

singlefin
July 08, 2018 09:35PM

I’m not going to debate anyone on personal perspective.

Your either a “Cistern is half full -or- Cistern is half empty” kind of person.

Scubadoo
July 08, 2018 11:45PM

According to noaa.gov Remnants of Beryl dissipated at 11PM AST July 08, 2018. That's all she wrote folks.

islandjoan
July 09, 2018 09:38AM

You can be a cistern is half full person, and still react due to PTSD from Maria (or Hugo, as some still have it from barely surviving that hurricane).

ALSO we have seen that a storm can blow up from TS to Cat 4 or higher in 24 hours.

ALSO this storm formed in an area of Sahara Dust, which is not likely.

ALSO the forecasters were saying that due to its small size, it was highly uncertain as to the intensity.

ALSO we have seen from last season, that intensity forecasting is still not as accurate as the forecasting on a storm's path.

SO it pays to plan for each and every storm, when it is uncertain as to what it will do.

singlefin
I’m not going to debate anyone on personal perspective.

Your either a “Cistern is half full -or- Cistern is half empty” kind of person.

Alana33
July 09, 2018 11:05AM

Have to agree with IslandJoan.
Many of us that have been thru multiple Cat 5 Hurricanes have PTSD.

The stress and anxiety any TS impending storms create can be significant.

It's best to be prepared beforehand.
I heard it was difficult to find bottled water at many STT stores. Tho I don't understand why people don't save juice bottles or empties to just fill instead of running around at the last minute.

Glad Beryl became a remenant instead of visiting as a TS or worse. Our infrastructure can't handle severe weather at this time nor can people still living under FEMA tarps.

I've received numerous WAPA alerts of outages and flash flood alerts.
Be safe.

[stthomassource.com]

sunshinefun
July 09, 2018 11:32AM

I agree with IslandJoan to a certain extent.

But, closing down the government because its raining?

Come on...really?

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →