Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Hurricane Beryl

Alana33
July 09, 2018 11:36AM

Guess you've never gotten caught in a flash flood. It can happen in a minute.

Keeps everyone safe and off the roads which aren't the best on sunny days.

singlefin
July 09, 2018 04:57PM

I thought I was done here, but I think another far more important point has been presented by Islandjoan and Alana33.

Should individuals with PTSD caused by extreme weather events be advising others on how to deal with weather events?

Does placing others into a state of panic help or hurt a situation?

Before we fly off the handle...
I’m not implying that PTSD isn't a serious condition or that I don’t have empathy for anyone with it. I have a family member (ex-military) diagnosed with it and I firmly believe it to be a very real and life changing condition that requires proper diagnosis, extensive treatment, and considerable time to heal from.

These, I think, are serious questions. Can we have a calm, rational discussion on such a topic?

islandjoan
July 09, 2018 08:19PM

To singlefin-
Without going back and reading the entire thread, I don't see that any of us were placing others into a state of panic; we were advising to prepare for the worst based on the information being disseminated by weather professionals.

FLLisa
July 09, 2018 09:45PM

Good night everyone -

Heavy rain? What about the winds?

Alana33
July 09, 2018 10:17PM

Ditto.

Nor was panic mentioned.
Anxiety and Stress?
Of course.
Sorry but at this point in time after all everyone has been thru and the exceedingly fragile state our infrastructure is in, the huge numbers of people still dealing with tarped roofs, contractors and supplies in high demand, roads not being safe and WAPA going offline if a lizard craps on the wire, I think I can safely say there's cause for concern and preparedness when ANY system pops up on our radar.

Heavy rain, alone, while might be wonderful for our cisterns, isn't going to be good for all.

I contacted my tenants and told them they wouldn't have to do a major securing of property in terms putting up shutters but any plants on railings should be moved as well as any lightweight objects on decks, driveways, etc

That is, unless things changed.

Before Irma was even a TS, shortly after she rolled off t the African coast, I told tenants to secure the property.

The fact is that sometimes, even with our great technology, these storms can and will surprise you.

Marilyn was supposed to be a Cat 1 - 90 mph hurricane. Surprise!
Cat 5? 2 in a row?
Surprise!

Think the overall point is to just be prepared. Things can change within hours and while many of us deal suffer and deal with PTSD of storms past and still to come in our lifetime, it is not anything to ridicule nor not take seriously.

islandjoan
To singlefin-
Without going back and reading the entire thread, I don't see that any of us were placing others into a state of panic; we were advising to prepare for the worst based on the information being disseminated by weather professionals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 10:19PM by Alana33.

AandA2VI
July 10, 2018 02:30AM

I didn’t even lose power!! I LOVE STT!! If a bananquit farted on a line in Fsted the whole place went out. Did it go out for this storm?

Lots of wind this morning, but was short lived. The howling was an eerie reminder. The wind earlier this year was WAY worse! Forget which month that was. Maybe a coupe hours, some rain - I can see the reefs in Magen’s, run off already cleared out which is how I guage how much rain we had lol. The little waterfall by my house also still only a trickle.

You know what I realized??? The hurricanes took all the termite nests! No huge influx of termites after this rain, I didn’t really think about it until now. Pretty awesome.

rosesisland
July 10, 2018 04:55AM

AandA2VI
I didn’t even lose power!! I LOVE STT!! If a bananquit farted on a line in Fsted the whole place went out. Did it go out for this storm?

Nope! Yesterday in Little La Grange we had two blinks. Didn't last two seconds! I was amazed and shocked as well.

speee1dy
July 10, 2018 07:49AM

we were without power for about 20 minutes. the storm in the morning was great. just like the normal storms we get.

i always say it is better to be prepared. nothing that was said was meant to incite fear in anyone. just to inform.

FLLisa
July 10, 2018 08:10AM

AandA2VI

You know what I realized??? The hurricanes took all the termite nests! No huge influx of termites after this rain, I didn’t really think about it until now. Pretty awesome.

Interesting about the termites. Here in the Keys I used to have sugar ants galore in the kitchen. Haven't seen a handful since Irma!

Scubadoo
July 10, 2018 08:50AM

Did not lose any power in La Grande Princesse. Just lots of wind and rain gusts until after lunch yesterday.

AandA2VI
July 11, 2018 02:02AM

FLLisa
AandA2VI

Interesting about the termites. Here in the Keys I used to have sugar ants galore in the kitchen. Haven't seen a handful since Irma!

Wow yea so still have those like crazy. I HATE putting poison down but I have to for them. They build nests in the weirdest places. My coffeee table (which is a mahogany stump so I guess that makes sense and I think they’re in my couch now. So weird. They LOVE my laptop, and that’s where I draw the line.

Totally floored little la grange didn’t loose power! That’s incredible lol and unheard of when I was living there.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →