Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Shipping soft top convertible

kdberry
July 07, 2018 04:22PM

My mom, son, and I are moving to STX in a few weeks. She is thinking of shipping her Toyota Solara even though her health prevents her from driving. I will have a car so I don’t need it. It will be a few months before my son can drive.

I am wondering if it makes sense to ship it knowing that we will be paying insurance on it and it will go mostly unused until my son gets his license and I feel comfortable letting him drive alone.

I’ve heard car thefts are an issue there and I figure with a soft top, it may be even more tempting to get into and steal. It has about 100k miles on it, is clean, and in very good condition.

Thoughts?

Re: Shipping soft top convertible

Afriend
July 07, 2018 05:37PM

kdberry
I am wondering if it makes sense to ship it knowing that we will be paying insurance on it and it will go mostly unused until my son gets his license and I feel comfortable letting him drive alone.

The answer to this part of your question depends on your financial situation and your priorities when it comes to spending money.

As far as vehicle theft is concerned even though it might be slightly easier to steal a convertible when the top is down or even when the top is up I doubt your car would be at any greater risk than any other car.

Now, you might want to consider the wisdom of having a convertible in an area where the sun is very strong. Many years ago when I lived in NJ I had a convertible and almost always drove with the top down whenever it was practical. I LOVED that car. I moved to Texas and thought I’d have even more opportunity to go “topless” but after a few trips in the blazing sun resulting in sunburned foreheads, extremely hot seats and constant sweating whenever I drove I realized it was just way too hot to keep the top down. For me, it became always top up and A/C on full blast. When I made the move to the Caribbean I never even considered getting a convertible.

That’s why you won’t find very many convertibles in anywhere in the Caribbean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2018 05:40PM by Afriend.

kdberry
July 07, 2018 05:43PM

Lol. Well I never even thought of the impracticality of having it in a hot climate.

speee1dy
July 07, 2018 07:32PM

I know people with soft tops. Not that big a deal. Car thefts are not that high

Scubadoo
July 07, 2018 07:35PM

Early mornings and in our cool evenings it would be OK to drive top down. I do the same thing when I'm back in NC during the warm months. I see a few convertibles around STX, not many. I saw a late model Corvette the other day, T-top, no convertible. A couple years back there was a late model T-bird convertible around. I'd be more concerned with the wear and tear on the soft top in our hot sun and tropical storm climate and guessing it will not be garaged or sheltered.

rmb2830
July 07, 2018 09:54PM

A neighbor ALWAYS had a convertible. She did leave island a few years ago, but had convertibles from the mid-eighties on...and she would sell her car locally when buying a new one, though the replacement did not happen too often. Rarely saw her driving with the roof up unless it was raining.

Alana33
July 07, 2018 09:57PM

If it's not practical, it's not necessary.

Exit Zero
July 07, 2018 11:56PM

I have always had convertibles kept in the states for lengthy vacations, here in the VI I have never had a soft top convertibles because I don't have a garage/carport to keep it in . I am always on the lookout for a good hardtop convertible to have in STT . -- A Mercedes 500, Lexus 430, etc, are too pricey and who will repair it -- but they are around. Haven't seen a Solara here but the soft top is a liability more for weather, not thievery IMO.

Scubadoo
July 08, 2018 11:03AM

I am surprised at the number of Mercedes I see on STX, someone is repairing and servicing them. You can probably get an older SLK in the states for not a lot of money and it's not uncommon to see over 300K miles on Mercedes.

rmb2830
July 08, 2018 12:19PM

Scubadoo
I am surprised at the number of Mercedes I see on STX, someone is repairing and servicing them. You can probably get an older SLK in the states for not a lot of money and it's not uncommon to see over 300K miles on Mercedes.

Funny thought...in the mid to late 80's there were 3 Mercedes cars on stx. And one of the three was in the showroom that was just past the golden rock Mcdonalds. Another belonged to people owning furniture and decorating business south of Sunny Isle with the big fountain in front of their building.

How things change

terry
July 09, 2018 09:51PM

Most convertibles that were out durning the hurricane list the top and in some cases the side windows. Then the car flooded from the rain.
If you don’t live it, leave it

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →