Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Skills/trades/Jobs

Doochie
August 13, 2018 12:45PM

Hello,

Out of curiousity, what trades or jobs are most need on the islands and are the jobs in these fields paying reasonably well? I plan on making the move in the next decade and have traveling booked to explore the different islands and settle on which one I’d like to love on.

I want to come to add to the islands and this is why I ask which trades or skills are needed the most. I know the cost of living is higher and wages are lower and that is fine, I’m just wondering if the pay is reasonable. I’m from NY where the cost of living is high and the pay isn’t the best and I currently live in Florida where it’s the same.

I just know from previous travels that I am destined to live off of the mainland.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 01:13PM by Doochie.

Re: Skills/trades/Jobs

kudzu
August 13, 2018 02:25PM

Electricians, plumbers, welders, appliance repair, (good) auto repair, are all highly needed and pay should be above what you'd earn stateside.

Teachers, any medical professions are also highly needed but may pay less than stateside equivalents.

Doochie
August 13, 2018 02:41PM

Thank you so much for the info!

Scubadoo
August 13, 2018 04:01PM

Also general handyman fixit skills are always in need.

singlefin
August 13, 2018 04:32PM

HVAC & good auto mechanics are hard to find too, and any good tradesmen are always in demand here.
If your working at NY speed, and for NY expectations, you’ll blow the locals away!

dougtamjj
August 13, 2018 04:34PM

Anything in the Marine industry such as electronics, engine repair, fabricating, canvas, sail repair, woodworking or hull cleaning.

Doochie
August 13, 2018 06:49PM

Thank you.

Doochie
August 13, 2018 06:49PM

Thank you

Doochie
August 13, 2018 06:50PM

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!

stxsailor
August 14, 2018 08:04AM

Hull cleaners are hard to find here on STX and the one I know of charges way too much. The one's I've used in the past have all left island.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →