Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

where is waterfall in stx

GeoffMichelle
January 26, 2008 10:44AM

i've heard that there is a waterfall in the rainforest area in stx, and was wondering where it is and best way to hike in.
thanks,
geoff

Re: where is waterfall in stx

aschultz
January 26, 2008 07:56PM

There are only two places that I know of that might be what you heard about. The fresh water fall is a local car and dread washing place. It is on your way to Mount Victory driving east form Sun Set Grill. One with a hick in Anally, there is a tide pool that fills on one side and the water comes out the other like a water fall. That is salt water though not a real water fall. snorkeling is good there water a bit rough some times.

Juanita
January 26, 2008 08:36PM

I've lived here a long time, but I have to ask. What is a car and dread washing place, and what is a hick in Anally?

Betty
January 26, 2008 11:37PM

There's a guy that does tours in the rainforest (hikes) and I believe the company name is Ay Ya or Ya Ya something like that, there are usually brochures around for him in the hotels. Its like a 3 or 4 hour hike and he takes you all through the rainforest and I've heard he takes you to the waterfalls and lots of pretty locales and shows you all the edible fruit trees and food in the forest. Stuff like that...not sure thats much help but thats all I know.

aschultz
January 26, 2008 11:49PM

sorry that was hike

terry
January 27, 2008 11:56AM

there is a place on the way to Mt Victory where some of the local, usually with dread locks, park in the middle of the road and wash their cars.

letahl
January 27, 2008 02:58PM

I was driving through the rainforest on the main road and my friend pointed out a spot on the south side west of Norma's and said it was the trailhead for the trail to "the waterfall", but that its only there during rainy season. Not sure if that'd be one of the same ones mentioned.

letahl
January 27, 2008 03:12PM

Hey, found this in an old post by Former Ohio Guy:

The Caledonia Gut is supposed to have pools of fresh water that don't go dry even in a drought. There are reportedly fish and crustacea there. I tried to go in there the other day, but it was too overgrown. I'll have to go back with pruners. It has a 50-foot falls half a mile up. The Butler Bay Gut has a falls one mile up. Mt Stewart Gut has non-native mollies in its pools. I don't know of any salt water falls, but I once tasted some water in a gut emptying near the Carambola Beach Resort, and it was very salty.

terry
January 27, 2008 03:29PM

How do you find these???

Lizard
January 27, 2008 04:49PM

The Butler Bay Nature Preserve within the rain forest has about 225 Protected acres with a 60' waterfall. Caledonia Valley, as reported by the Hiking club in the Crucian Chronicles a 50' waterfall.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2008 05:14PM by Lizard.

aschultz
January 27, 2008 07:02PM

The saltwater one is just a tide pool that has a spot you can go under and get wet like a fall. You can get a brochure at the airport or any hotel. You can see the tide pool and trail on google earth. Anymore info on the 50 ft. fall would be nice. Has anyone actually seen it aside from the old post?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2008 07:03PM by aschultz.

Lizard
January 27, 2008 07:19PM

aschultz,
The old post as you refer to it, didn't see it either and I Quote " I tried to go in the other day, but it was to overgrown". The falls are there, good luck in trying to get to them without a guide!

letahl
January 27, 2008 09:42PM

That post was also from a few years back, so it's either been brought back up to snuff or swallowed up by the wild.

Lizard
January 27, 2008 10:35PM

Lethal,
Not for nothing, but the falls are part of the Eco System in the rain forest, what and who would bring them back to snuff, there just there and very difficult to get to without a guide. This is protected land, no development of any kind, there is also 150 year of danish stone bridge up there. So the falls were there before the old post and will be there after this post.

Lizard
January 27, 2008 10:56PM

Betty,
Its Ay-Ay Tours 340 772 4079, The Tour Guides name is Ras Lumumba. he can get you to the falls (both of them)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2008 11:05PM by Lizard.

cruzkandy
January 28, 2008 11:30AM

I was told by my grandmother that the entire Estate Caledonia, was once owned by my great grandfather. Our family doesn't own the entire Estate anymore, but a good portion of it. In her many stories, she talks about going to the waterfall with my great grandfather and my grand father (his son) on Sundays for picnics. That was long time ago though. I don't know if any of my other family members go up there, and I've never been before. All of that was way before my time. But the Caledonia Waterfall do exist.

aschultz
January 28, 2008 03:21PM

I would love to see it. Is it privet property, would it be trespassing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2008 03:22PM by aschultz.

thoogie
January 28, 2008 04:29PM

I have photos (from Fall of 98 or 99) of a waterfall across the road from Creque Dam that proves there are at least part-time waterfalls on STX.

Somebody please tell me how to attach them to a message and I'd be happy to post them.

Ted

Trade
January 28, 2008 06:19PM

Your pictures need to be on an online photo site like photobucket or flickr. Take the URL of the picture on your photo site & put that link in between this:

~Trade~

letahl
January 29, 2008 09:07AM

>>Lethal,
>>Not for nothing, but the falls are part of the Eco System in the rain forest, what and who would bring them back to snuff,

There are lots of privately maintained trails on this island, through rain forests and all.

Lizard
January 29, 2008 09:28AM

LOL, lethal, thanks for the info!

letahl
January 29, 2008 12:16PM

No problem. Just this weekend we hiked to the top of Mt. Eagle (supposedly the highest point on St. Croix) on the little-used Southside trail. Thank goodness one of the awesome people that maintain such trails had re-flagged it in December. Even with the new flagging, we came out 50 yards down the road from where we went in! Oh well, at least we came out! smiling

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →