Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

shipping car from STX to Florida - costs, legalities, etc.

atc0004
May 04, 2008 05:34PM

I would like to know what is the possible cost to ship a vehicle that I had bought on STX (still financing through First Bank) to Florida?

Would it more feasible to sell the vehicle, even though I am still financing?

Re: shipping car from STX to Florida - costs, legalities, etc.

Juanita
May 04, 2008 06:25PM

Can't think of any good reason to ship a car TO Florida. Sell it here. Even if you don't get the price you would like, it will be off-set by saving the cost of shipping.

atc0004
May 04, 2008 06:44PM

I am still financing through First Bank. I am afraid I might not be able to sell it for how much I owe.
It's a 2007.

Betty
May 04, 2008 07:03PM

Will first bank even let you take it off island?

heepajeep
May 05, 2008 05:05PM

Why by a car on island knowing your going to Florida?

GoodToGo
May 05, 2008 07:07PM

I doubt anybody would buy a new car here knowing that have a firm commitment to return to the U.S. (what with the much higher cost due to lack of aggressive discounting like U.S., extra special charges particularly for non U.S. not make in U.S. cars, and high shipping costs.)

My guess is the original poster didn't know they would be moving when he/she purchased the car.

That said, atc004 you need to check into whether the lien holder will give you a copy of the paper title (or DMV if they have it). Without it you won't clear customs (and these days that probably means the car wouldn't even clear it on this end in STX yet alone in Florida.) Up until a few weeks ago Customs would take a letter in lieu of copy of paper title but apparently this is almost impossible now and they insist on copy of paper title (not a big deal unless you live in one of the states that recently switched to electronic titles only - ask me how I know sad smiley )
Once you get permission you'll also need proof of insurance for the vehicle while it is on the water, copy of current registration, etc.

If you know you will keep your 2007 for at least a few years it's probably worth it considering you're upside down on your loan. If you don't think you're going to keep the car long remember that used values are much higher here in STX plus you save the cost of shipping.

heepajeep
May 06, 2008 12:40PM

atc0004
I am still financing through First Bank. I am afraid I might not be able to sell it for how much I owe.
It's a 2007.

okay, I took the word "financing" as meaning they bought a new car and were in the process of financing it and not yet completed.
What they really meant to say is they are still making payments.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →