Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

private chef

cheryl96s
May 05, 2008 07:32PM

My boyfriend and I are moving down to STT or STJ next summer, he is set with a job since he is an educator, I however am a personal chef and having difficulty finding any information about opportunities on the islands. Does anyone out there know what the market is like for personal chefs?

Thanks in advance!
Cheryl

Re: private chef

Alexandra
May 05, 2008 07:44PM

contact some of the Property Management companies that handle the high-end rental villas, as sometimes the vacationing tenants are celebrating special occasions and want a personal chef or catering for one or more nights during their stay. Some of the yachts in the marinas might also need guest chefs now and then. Advertise in the Island Trader and you can also pick up private events, birthday dinners, etc. for full-time residents throughout the year. There are jobs to be found. Marketing yourself is up to you.

Talonz82
May 05, 2008 09:04PM

How do you feel about sailing? I have seen numerous ads for chefs on day sails and term charters. You can google crew finder and search crew positions.

Trade
May 06, 2008 05:50AM

I had a neighbor here on STT who did very well as a private chef. He also did a lot of work on STJ so it seems to be a viable option. As with most things, it might slow down in the dead of off-season but I'd think you should be able to do well.

~Trade~

cheryl96s
May 08, 2008 07:45AM

thank you everyone for your great thoughts and ideas! we are coming down this June/July for our PMV and i plan on doing exactly what you said!
for a PMV, do you think 2 weeks is long enough?

East Ender
May 08, 2008 08:19AM

When I came down originally, it was fro 7 days, but stayed 3 extra. I took copious notes and then used the phone a lot when I got back to America. And oh, yes, it was in the early days of e-mail. I had one e-mail contact who is largely responsible for me moving here. Thank you, and you know who you are!!

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →