Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

PERSEID: August Meteor Showers

swans
August 06, 2012 09:34PM

Greetings everyone,

[www.space.com]

Meteor shower anyone?
If you look up at the night sky and see a streak here and there, that's Perseid...practicing.

August's meteor shower, Perseid, will be best viewed on Sat., 8/11; Sun., 8/12; and Mon., 8/13; the PEAK will be after sunset on Sunday the 12th. Perseid originates from the NW area of the sky. As the meteors enter Earth's atmosphere, they will be moving at 133,000mph, give or take a few.

As the time nears, I'll post a reminder note...
Enjoy!
Swan

Re: PERSEID: August Meteor Showers

CAtoSTX
August 08, 2012 05:22PM

Thanks for the reminder!

swans
August 08, 2012 08:11PM

CAtoSTX
Thanks for the reminder![/quote

Tou are very welcome!
Update on viewing: So as to take advantage of every opportunity to see peak viewing opportunities, begin your meteor watching on Sat., evening (the 11th) into the early morning hours - 1 AM on Sun. the 12th and through those early hours.

After sunset on Sun. the 12th, head outside, relax in a comfortable chair, and enjoy Perseid, who happens to be a very pretty meteor shower.
Swan

swans
August 10, 2012 07:32PM

G'evening,

A Perseid Meteor Shower reminder for you: From Saturday night through Sunday night to dawn on Monday morning will be the peak times for meteor watching. If anyone is a meteor counter, NASA would be interested in your findings and data - see the link posted for information regarding this. As stated before, the meteors can be seen prior to peak - just look up!

Enjoy! big grin
Swan
[www.space.com]

usvichic
August 11, 2012 02:50PM

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing them smiling

lily1025
August 11, 2012 07:36PM

as always, thanks swans, and looking forward to it. at least the meteors can't see me,so i can dress as i pleasehappy

VIsnorkeler
August 11, 2012 07:51PM

The clouds over STT's East end can move along by 11 o'clock, please! mad

dougtamjj
August 11, 2012 08:04PM

I wish I were there to see it. It's pouring rain here in Virginia but we will be home on Wednesday. Lily, come get me out of bed on Wednesday to go walking. I don't care what you wear. confused smiley

dougtamjj
August 11, 2012 08:05PM

That was supposed to be a smily face.

lily1025
August 12, 2012 08:08PM

to tami.. i will pm you before you get "HOME"!happy TO SWANS.. i am totally bummed out...is it me,or does it always seem like there is a cloud cover whenever we have a full moon or something extraordinary to see?? what do you think are our chances of seeing the meteors tonite??? did see 1 at 1am coming ne from cotton valley last night!

swans
August 12, 2012 08:36PM

lily1025
to tami.. i will pm you before you get "HOME"!happy TO SWANS.. i am totally bummed out...is it me,or does it always seem like there is a cloud cover whenever we have a full moon or something extraordinary to see?? what do you think are our chances of seeing the meteors tonite??? did see 1 at 1am coming ne from cotton valley last night!

It's not you Lily. Just our "luck" ??? Let's hope the sky clears; we have until dawn!

Hi Tammy; and Hi JJ, my young Friend. Welcome home!

lily1025
August 12, 2012 09:38PM

thanks for the encouraging words swans!! i can't wait to have my neighbors home too!!..when push comes to shove stx is an awesome place to live..not just for the nature but the incredible people who understand what we have living here minus the sometimes daily frustrations it brings. as i always say, st. croix is not for everone,and living any where is a trade off.. BUT boy the trade off here is beyond worth it!!!don't think i'll get any arguments from you ,doug,tami, and jj aka joey

VIsnorkeler
August 12, 2012 10:41PM

So glad I got to see some last night...only looking for about 15 minutes and saw five! Tonight, however, entirely too cloudy at dusk and now rain rain rain!!

usvichic
August 13, 2012 02:46PM

So sad, didn't see a one sad smiley Oh well, next time.

swans
August 13, 2012 03:11PM

usvichic
So sad, didn't see a one sad smiley Oh well, next time.[/quote

usvichic, Disappointing, yes. But more meteor showers are scheduled in the near future! happyEspecially Geminid!
Swan

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →