Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Respecting the beliefs of others

rotorhead
October 25, 2012 07:08PM

OldTart
I'd remind you, Rotorhead, that "respect" and "belief" aren't synonymous. You said earlier that, "I respect your right to believe anything that you want, but I do not have to respect what you believe." No, you don't, but hopefully you respect the person enough to not trash and dismiss them for their beliefs. You can argue basic theology 'til the cows come home (and in fact you'll be arguing it until your dying breath as it's been a source of contention, dissension and literary fodder since the dawn of man) but it's a bit of a waste of time in my opinion if it becomes some sort of "life force".

Thank you for your concern. I guess we all tilt at our own windmills. I try very hard not to trash people, only ideas. I still have hope that people can outgrow the mythology of our past. It has happened. Few people still worship Zeus.

When it comes to respect, as the video on page one of this thread points out, you do pay a price when you voice belief in the outrageous. Biblical mythology has no more basis in reality than does the Giant Turtle mythology.

IslandHops
October 26, 2012 10:43AM

rotorhead
.... Biblical mythology has no more basis in reality than does the Giant Turtle mythology.

Well that may depend if you're referring to TMNT or the work of Terry Pratchett. cool

rotorhead
October 26, 2012 01:17PM

IslandHops
rotorhead
.... Biblical mythology has no more basis in reality than does the Giant Turtle mythology.

Well that may depend if you're referring to TMNT or the work of Terry Pratchett. cool

excited I have never read Discworld but the description says that Great A'Tuin was taken from Hindu mythology. Have you read it? Is it comparable to Lord of the Rings? TMNT was a parody of existing comic books. "Heroes in a Half Shell".

I wonder if the bible had come out as a comic book if more people would have actually read it instead of just listening to the interpretation from the pulpit? They say that the quickest way to convert a christian to an atheist is to have them actually read the bible for themselves. There is so much horrible stuff in there that you have to carefully pick and choose to find the moral parts. Stay away from Leviticus!

Bombi
October 26, 2012 07:02PM

double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 07:05PM by Bombi.

rotorhead
October 31, 2012 02:11PM

rotorhead
1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2. Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
10. Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.

These are not my Ten Commandments. I was wondering if anyone would recognize this from the American Stonehenge.

rotorhead
December 17, 2012 10:50PM

IslandHops
December 18, 2012 10:28AM

Nice. But is this really 'respecting the beliefs of others'.
Maybe some yuletide spirit is in order - and just what is a yule anyway, and why is it impacted by the moons gravity?

Home_Despot
December 18, 2012 10:48AM

IslandHops
Nice. But is this really 'respecting the beliefs of others'.
Maybe some yuletide spirit is in order - and just what is a yule anyway, and why is it impacted by the moons gravity?

'The beliefs of others' are merely something to poke fun at, and debunk. There should be no pursuit of spirituality, because there is no such thing as a spirit. We are all here because of natural, scientific processes that can be easily duplicated in any lab, given a billion years or so. This is all random chance. If you take a bunch of concrete blocks, nails, wires, galvanize, wood, etc. and mix them together under the right scientific circumstances, in a billion years you will have a fully functional house...bet you didn't know that, did ya...

IslandHops
December 18, 2012 11:01AM

Sounds like you need more humor in your life...

It was St. Peter’s week off at the Pearly Gates, so Jesus filled in for him. For a few days, all went well. One day he asked a new entrant: “Name?”
“Joseph”
“Occupation?”
“Carpenter.”
This got Jesus’ interest. “Children?”
“Only one. He was of unusual birth, everyone loved him, and even today, millions follow his example.”
Jesus rushed to embrace this man: “Father!”
“Pinnochio!”

CityGuy
December 18, 2012 05:33PM

Mary and Joseph were recently on the Maury Povich show. Maury opened the envelope and said Joseph you are not the father of the baby Jesus.big grin

Jamison
December 19, 2012 08:08AM

A thread about "respect" has turned into a self elation thread for atheists

Sounds right..

IslandHops
December 19, 2012 08:58AM

Jamison
... self elation ...

Careful, I heard you can go blind doing that.

Bombi
December 19, 2012 09:02AM

Jamison, That's what atheist do to some extent but all that aside, I want to wish alla we a fulfilling Holiday Season regardless of what they do or don't believe. We are privileged to live in an evermore tolerant society.

Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion- several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight....... Mark Twain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 09:03AM by Bombi.

Jamison
December 19, 2012 09:46AM

Atheists may do that, but religion is constantly in our face, so I'd call it equal I guess. This thread just seems a little too celebratory.

Home_Despot
December 19, 2012 11:01AM

Jamison
Atheists may do that, but religion is constantly in our face, so I'd call it equal I guess. This thread just seems a little too celebratory.

Atheists celebrate because they think they have it all figured out, and they have all the answers to everything...meaning "science" as we know it today. Science as we know it today will be the laughingstock of tomorrow...

It will be really interesting to see who has the last laugh...but somehow, I believe there will be a place with a whole lot of atheists and it will look similar to this:
surprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprised

rotorhead is the third one from the right, second row...the one with the pitchfork stuck through his unbelieving gizzard...as loucypher laughs with unrestrained glee.

big grinbig grin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 11:35AM by Home_Despot.

Bombi
December 19, 2012 11:23AM

IslandHops
December 19, 2012 11:30AM

Home_Despot
... Science as we know it today will be the laughingstock of tomorrow...

Please don't diss science, I hear leeches are making a comeback. cool

Jamison
December 19, 2012 12:05PM

It shouldn't be a right or wrong conversation. Believe what you want, but you can't dis science. We may be continuing to learn new things and nothing in science is definitive. It is all theory and is constantly evolving as we learn new things.

Science doesn't disprove religion. Religion is faith based and therefor can not be disproved. It's all opinion, but that has nothing to do with science, To compare the two is foolish.

I said I thought this thread was being disrespectful and then I get told by somebody who believes in one of the different gods he has chosen for himself, that I'll be wrong someday for believing in science? What a joke that is and exactly the reason Atheists feel the need to correct you.

loucypher
December 19, 2012 12:43PM

Home_Despot
Atheists celebrate because they think they have it all figured out, and they have all the answers to everything...meaning "science" as we know it today. Science as we know it today will be the laughingstock of tomorrow...

It will be really interesting to see who has the last laugh...but somehow, I believe there will be a place with a whole lot of atheists and it will look similar to this:
surprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprised

rotorhead is the third one from the right, second row...the one with the pitchfork stuck through his unbelieving gizzard...as loucypher laughs with unrestrained glee.

big grinbig grin

The earth is 4.4 billion years old. (just a little older than myself) I'm not the one who claims to have created everything in 7 days.
P.S. I'll do the pitchforking, not you. Lest ye be next. 999mad

rotorhead
December 19, 2012 12:54PM

This thread was never about respecting the beliefs of others. It was about respecting the right of others to believe anything that they want. A belief is nothing more than an opinion or idea and must stand or fall on it's own merits. Free discussion of ideas is important!

"Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. "
-Carl Sagan

Blasphemy is a victimless crime!

Happy Holiday!

CityGuy
December 19, 2012 01:21PM

However Blasphemy could cause you to be a victim! Merry Christmas!

rotorhead
December 19, 2012 01:42PM

CityGuy
However Blasphemy could cause you to be a victim! Merry Christmas!

Only because religious people are often violent people.

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
Steven Weinberg, quoted in The New York Times, April 20, 1999

Happy Holiday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 02:03PM by rotorhead.

Home_Despot
December 19, 2012 04:11PM

loucypher
Home_Despot

big grinbig grin

The earth is 4.4 billion years old. (just a little older than myself) I'm not the one who claims to have created everything in 7 days.
P.S. I'll do the pitchforking, not you. Lest ye be next. 999mad

aaahhhh....you have a problem with Biblical references...good! so do I !
P.S. you don't get to choose who does the pitchforking, and you'll be too busy removing one from your gizzard anyway big grin

Compliments of the season, this is all in fun. Hope you're well, stay safe, and best wishes for the New Year!

rotorhead
December 19, 2012 04:30PM

I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THIS BELIEF!

Tennessee pastor: Mass shootings because schools teach evolution and ‘how to be a homo’
[www.rawstory.com]

rotorhead
December 19, 2012 06:07PM

A little humor is always a good thing!

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →