Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

WATER ISLAND 1981?

curran17
October 14, 2012 02:58PM

Does anyone remember a resort on WATER ISLAND called Yellow Bird? I came over from STX to "party" and we met a caretaker of some old abandoned resort called the Yellow Bird? The rooms were empty and so was the pool. Does anyone know anything about it? What happened and what was it like way back when?

Re: WATER ISLAND 1981?

sttanon
October 17, 2012 12:18PM

If it is the resort that I am thinking of , it got damaged badly during Hurricane Marilyn. I had heard some rumors that it was going to be rebuilt but in the end they tore it down...

OldTart
October 17, 2012 06:57PM

I'm guessing that you're thinking of the old Water Isle Hotel and Beach Club which at one point was known as the "Yellow Bird" hotel. Sugar bird and yellow bird are synonymous. This link might shed some light:

[www.waterislandhistory.com]

DanielB_STX
October 18, 2012 09:27AM

Interesting tidbit of information, the developer of the resort Edward J. McArdle from Chicago who died in 2008 developed many other properties.

When you look at his accomplishments check under "Oakbrook Companies Milestones 1968" where it mentions the hotel/resort on Water Island. It appears that he was very successful with his many projects.

[www.oakbrookco.com]

curran17
October 19, 2012 09:36PM

Thanks so much for the information. There was care taker there and the rooms were empty. I came over for a party one night and it was WILD! The pool was empty and lots of people were just hanging around in the light of the moon. ahhhhhh to be young again. So I guess nothing at all is left of this resort.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →