Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Re: Stop Accepting Cash = Less Robberies

Alana33
October 19, 2012 09:47AM

We need them! Can you imagine what it would be like without?
Scary!

IslandHops
October 19, 2012 01:15PM

Heck yea we welcome the money. Just don't try to tell us how to spend it, nor expect us to be accountable. (and I'm being snarkastic yet fairly accurate).

Alana33
October 19, 2012 04:47PM

The word "Accountability" is NOT in our Legislature's vocabulary, that's for sure.

vicanuck
October 23, 2012 08:50AM

I just can't understand why folks deride the "no cash accepted" concept as if its some sort of evil even though its prevelent in many areas of the US.

When I lived in Canada, folks used debit cards for virtually everything. If I was buying a 50 cent newspaper I'd use a debit card. I believe, in fact, that Canada is the most debit card intensive country in the world. And that was 10 years ago.

Just about everyone here in the VI has a debit card too but why the reluctance to use or accept them?

I suppose restaurants feel that the tiny percentage they might lose by accepting them is worth dying for.

Or maybe its the gain from not declaring the income...?

Say what you will, but, "no cash accepted" will become the norm sooner or later here because its the only real way to solve the robbery problem as has been proven elsewhere.

Neil
November 04, 2012 09:36AM

Drop safes would help too.
They're not-that-expensive and the criminals would get the word.

On bingo night at a STX restaurant, I once saw the owner walking around with a large WAD of cash, and when she walked by me I told her to put it away.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →