Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Sunscreen with Oxybenzone Dangerous to Corals

Alana33
October 21, 2015 09:39PM

Re: Sunscreen with Oxybenzone Dangerous to Corals

vicanuck
October 22, 2015 08:13AM

Why not just tell tourists to go elsewhere. If not for sunscreen, who would go to the beach?

OldTart
October 22, 2015 08:35AM

Surely you jest or didn't read the article (one of many recent ones on the subject). The whole point is that there are plenty of sunscreens and blockers available which DON'T contain the chemicals proven harmful to the marine environment.

Spartygrad95
October 22, 2015 08:42AM

The "natural" crowd promotes coconut oil as a sunscreen. I'm reminded of the Seinfeld Epidode where Neumann sees Kramer as a turkey with golden skin.
[youtu.be]

I prefer the natural method of getting a nice base coat of melanoma

speee1dy
October 22, 2015 10:23AM

yes, because kramer had heard he should use butter for tanning

Alana33
October 22, 2015 10:55AM

We all know what a good idea that was.
Use butter or coconut oil if you wish to fry in the sun.
I do seem to remember some people use to use baby oil and iodine.

Wish the hotel and beaches would advise people to the adverse effects of these types of sunscreens to our visitors and locals alike.

The more aware people are, the better to protect the reefs and corals which are already struggling.

Spartygrad95
October 22, 2015 11:48AM

At all the resorts I've been to in Mexico, they only sell "reef safe" sunscreens on site. The premium they charge is absurd, but there are options to protect yourself and the reefs.

speee1dy
October 22, 2015 02:52PM

my mom was 1 of the ones to use baby oil and iodine

Beeski
October 22, 2015 02:54PM

Does anyone have a favorite "reef safe" sunscreen and know a store on STX (or STT for that matter) that carries it? I am going Oxybenzone free.

Alana33
October 22, 2015 09:04PM

You have to check around or you can order online.
Think the drug store in Red Hook may have.

Check this link or Google Oxybenzone free

[www.goodhousekeeping.com]

islandjoan
October 22, 2015 09:51PM

The brand Raw Elements seems to get the best reviews online of all the ones listed in the source article at the beginning of this topic. They even have a tinted sunscreen stick, to counteract the white film that titanium sunscreens leave. I am going to order some from Amazon. That article was a real wake up call for me to stop using the bad sunscreens.

Alana33
October 28, 2015 10:19AM

[time.com]

Currently, somewhere between 4,000 and 6,000 tons of sunscreen enters coral reef areas around the world each year, according to the U.S. National Park Service. That’s a lot of sunscreen considering how little it takes to cause toxic effects. According to the new research, toxicity occurs at a concentration of 62 parts per trillion. That’s the equivalent of a drop of water in an Olympic swimming pool, according to study author Omri Bronstein, a researcher at Tel Aviv University.

“Current concentrations of oxybenzone in these coral reef areas pose a significant ecological threat,” Bronstein said in a press release.

CruzanIron
October 28, 2015 03:52PM

Time to move this thread to the coconut tree.

Alana33
October 28, 2015 04:49PM

Why - because you say so?

The condition of our reefs and corals have a impact on those who live here, visit here and conside moving here. It is good knowledge to share as many aren't aware of the damage done.

stxisbest
October 28, 2015 05:25PM

An apple falling from a tree syndrome. The sky is falling, the sky is falling. I agree it belongs in the Peta forum.

Alana33
October 28, 2015 05:37PM

The sky isn't falling.
Our reefs and corals are endangered not only from sunscreen but a multitude of factors but that surely won't matter to you.

Why do you care where I post this as long as people are made aware and it helps, even a small amount?
Jeeze guys, lighten up!

quirion
October 28, 2015 06:34PM

Alana33
You have to check around or you can order online.
Think the drug store in Red Hook may have.

Check this link or Google Oxybenzone free

[www.goodhousekeeping.com]

All of the recommended sunscreens in that article are insanely expensive.
I noticed that there are plenty of other non oxybenzone sunscreens out there mostly targeted to kids or babies.
Banana Boat kids or babies has no oxybenzone and is a physical blocker and much more reasonably priced.

TruKids is another brand that is similar.
Both have
Active Ingredients: Homosalate (15%) (Sunscreen), Octinoxate (7.5%) (Sunscreen), Octisalate (5%) (Sunscreen), Titanium Dioxide (2.4%) (Sunscreen)

instead of oxybenzone.

CruzanIron
October 28, 2015 07:30PM

Alana33

The condition of our reefs and corals have a impact on those who live here, visit here and conside moving here. It is good knowledge to share as many aren't aware of the damage done.

Because it has nothing to do with the main purpose of this forum- to assist people that have questions about moving here.

Alana33
October 28, 2015 08:19PM

And I guess every single topic does that?

OldTart
October 29, 2015 05:24AM

I think the poInt is simply that the original article was self-explanatory and that any discussion need not turn into a barrage of cut and pasted articles and links. This isn't even breaking news.

Alana33
October 29, 2015 08:23AM

[mission-blue.org]
GLOBAL CORAL BLEACHING EVENT PUTS REEFS AT RISK

crazyflamingo
October 29, 2015 03:19PM

CruzanIron
Alana33

Because it has nothing to do with the main purpose of this forum- to assist people that have questions about moving here.

IMO, it does relate to moving to an island because for someone that may not be use to the constant year round sun exposure that you get living in the islands, they may have questions about ways to protect themselves from the sun. That person may see this thread and think twice about their choice in sunscreen and want to find one that is more environmentally friendly to help protect the reefs.

Personally, I'm really glad this was posted. (regardless if it was on this forum or on the Under the Coconut forum) Currently I use True Natural sunscreen which does not contain Oxybenzone. It is broad spectrum and protects against UVA/UVB rays. It is also reef safe, 100% mineral based, biodegradable, gluten-free and vegan. Besides it being environmentally friendly, I use it because it's one of the few ones that doesn't irritate my skin. I have had chemical burns from other sunscreens, which was way more painful than any sunburn I've ever had and I've had some pretty bad sunburns over the years. It took a long time to find a sunscreen that I could use without having a severe reaction to it and I do really like True Natural but I was excited to see the Good Housekeeping link for possible alternative options for me. So, Thank you Alana for posting this info.

Alana33
October 29, 2015 04:13PM

Thank you for appreciating my posting of it!

Spartygrad95
October 29, 2015 05:12PM

Gluten free and vegan sunscreen? Umm ok.

JohnnyU
October 29, 2015 05:34PM

GMO-Free?

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →