Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Powerball Jackpot - Limetree Bay

IslandHops
January 11, 2016 11:44AM

I was pondering the fact that the Powerball Jackpot is now approaching 1.3 Billion for Wednesday's drawing - Which would be over 800M for the cash option.

If you are a resident of the territory this would result in an immediate cash payment to the VI Government coffers of around 200M with another 130M or so due with your annual taxes.

At 330M, a VI resident winning the powerball would have more immediate impact than the Limetree Bay deal!

So if you win you can either keep your residence here and benefit the VI, or relocate to FL or elsewhere in which case the money would go to the Federal Government. With our current Government this may be a tough call. cool

Re: Powerball Jackpot - Limetree Bay

Spartygrad95
January 11, 2016 12:33PM

Wouldn't worry, everyone knows the rich don't pay taxes...

BeachcomberStt
January 12, 2016 03:28PM

Just wondering, would you pay more taxes here in the US Virgin Islands or the states?

I already know I have the winning ticket...hehehe excited

LiquidFluoride
January 12, 2016 03:30PM

BeachcomberStt
Just wondering, would you pay more taxes here in the US Virgin Islands or the states?

I already know I have the winning ticket...hehehe excited

depends on the state you are in, but it would be the same, or more there... the USVI uses the federal tax structure and has no "territory" taxes... so it's very predictable.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →