Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Y'all see this?

Pammerjo
June 22, 2017 03:39AM

Re: Y'all see this?

Pammerjo
June 22, 2017 03:50AM

Call me paranoid, but I feel as though trump may be eyeing St. John for another of his golf courses. This fills me with dread for this, the most pristine of our Virgins. If it comes to that I will fight tooth and nail to stop it.

speee1dy
June 22, 2017 07:52AM

maybe i didnt read it thoroughly but i didnt see mention of the one s that have already been removed by previous administrations without a whimper from anyone

Gator's Mom
June 22, 2017 01:56PM

The US has not withdrawn any sites from the UNESCO biosphere reserve previous to 2017. This is a first.

[www.unesco.org]

speee1dy
maybe i didnt read it thoroughly but i didnt see mention of the one s that have already been removed by previous administrations without a whimper from anyone

speee1dy
June 22, 2017 03:39PM

t the same time, the council approved requests by the U.S. and Bulgaria to remove some of those countries’ biosphere reserves from the official list. The U.S. withdrew 17 sites (out of the country’s previous total of 47 sites), and Bulgaria withdrew three. Prior to this year, a total of 18 sites had been removed from the program since 1997, by seven countries.

[news.nationalgeographic.com]

this shows that 18 sites had previously been removed . not biosphere specific i would think. but i didnt make my comment to be specific to biospehere

[skift.com]

interesting , loosing status due to too many tourists

Gator's Mom
The US has not withdrawn any sites from the UNESCO biosphere reserve previous to 2017. This is a first.

[www.unesco.org]

speee1dy

speee1dy
June 22, 2017 03:42PM

[en.unesco.org]

this shows 20 were added

JohnnyU
June 22, 2017 03:42PM

Please tell me how withdrawing form the UNESCO will affect the National Park Designation of STJ and run by the NPS as it was before the pull out?

speee1dy
June 22, 2017 04:03PM

[www.iflscience.com]

that was the wrong list, this one shows 23 were added

Gator's Mom
June 22, 2017 04:43PM

At a high level, designation as a UNESCO site can help with public relations and external fundraising key-messaging for support. It can point out the relevance of the park/site and its importance as a place in a comparative global context.

To the average person, the designation sounds good but probably is meaningless.

It no way affects the ongoing operation of the park.

We don't know why the VI National Park lost designation despite the headline.

JohnnyU
Please tell me how withdrawing form the UNESCO will affect the National Park Designation of STJ and run by the NPS as it was before the pull out?

rotorhead
June 22, 2017 05:05PM

Just part of severing UN entanglements. Doesn't affect anything.

Get us out of the UN!

Gumbo
June 22, 2017 08:25PM

rotorhead
Just part of severing UN entanglements. Doesn't affect anything.

Get us out of the UN!

I second that motion thumbs up

speee1dy
June 23, 2017 07:58AM

and gators mom, you did read the part where at least 18 had been removed before , right?

Gator's Mom
June 23, 2017 09:47AM

Not by the US but by other countries. You referred to other administrations in the post I responded to - wasn't that a US reference?

speee1dy
and gators mom, you did read the part where at least 18 had been removed before , right?

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →