Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

living fulltime on St Croix

fargo
June 25, 2015 08:22PM

I am thinking of moving to St. Croix full time. Is it true that the water is grey and unswimmable June through December? How do you like living there?

Re: living fulltime on St Croix

CruzanIron
June 26, 2015 05:28AM

LMAOexcited now that's funny.
Where did you hear that?

Alana33
June 28, 2015 09:04AM

Someone is obviously pulling your leg as our waters are beautiful, year round.

Left Coast
June 30, 2015 01:22AM

If you're a diver, after a heavy rainfall or some current changes, visibility may be reduced to 60-100 feet... but never gray or un-swim-able! (is that a word)?

under the pier, maybe 40' deep, GoPro hero black (no filters) June 29, 2015

FLLisa
June 30, 2015 01:35PM

I've been diving in STX in different years in June, July and November. I don't think I've ever seen visibility less than 60 ft.

Re: snorkeling on St Croix

fargo
July 06, 2015 09:50PM

Thank you all for the responses. That's great news.
Is there a way to find buddies to snorkel with? ...like a meetup group for snorkeling?

speee1dy
July 15, 2015 01:39PM

grey water? wow. never. after a heavy rain it might be a bit brown near the coast for less than a day due to the run off, especially in gallows bay but you can always see forever when diving or snorkeling.

unswimable-maybe due to being acclimated and the water being too cold for some. it gets too cold for me

AandA2VI
August 18, 2015 07:01PM

HAHAHHAHAHHAH!! Oh man that was HILARIOUS. No, its very clear and very beautiful!

Re: snorkeling on St Croix

Zuni Omar
September 05, 2015 04:04PM

There are a group of swimmers who normally swim with snorkel, mask, and fins on M-W-F at 730 am at Cane Bay; they swim about a mile and stop for turtles or anything else interesting that they see.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →