Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Auto body repair / restoration as a hobby

Elmer
April 22, 2007 02:15PM

Does anybody on STX do auto body repair or restoration as a hobby?

Re: Auto body repair / restoration as a hobby

terry
April 22, 2007 04:25PM

There seems to be very little car culture on the island. Quite a few drag racers, 4 or 5 very serious.
I saw a few rice burners, and a few Ninja type bikes. There are a few Harleys as well.

Have met only two street rodders on STX so far. One with a model A sedan, and another with a T-bucket. Both were brought on island complete. There is a fab shop that does a little work for the drag racers and other auto machine work. He has been building a T-bucket for several years, not much progress in the last few years.

I did meet a West Indian man who is working on a couple of projects, a Corvette that he is putting an older engine in, ( seems backwards ), and a Chevy in a Jag sedan. There a guy that is rebuilding a Blazer, but it seems to have stalled as well.

Havn't seen any restored older cars at all. I did hear of one, but I hear that it is never driven. The salt is brutal on them.

This is my one big concern, as I have been a hard core car guy all my life. I hope I can do with out much car culture. LOL. I mean I am such a car guy, that in high school, I didn't transfer to the new school that was built so I would have to be able to drive a car to school. Told my dad that all of my friends were staying at the old school, which wasn't true at all.

I did ship down a 85 Bronco II with a 302 cu in V-8 in it to have something to paly with when we are there a couple of times a year.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →