Join discussions on moving to and living in the USVI, ask questions, share info & tips! (Vacationing? Visit Travel Message Board)

Chihuahua Races

Betty
May 01, 2007 08:50AM

Does anyone know anything about the Chihuahua Races this Sat in STT? Thinking about going for the weekend and was wondering if it was any fun, how long it lasts and what kind of activities they have. And if they have any up for adoption.

Re: Chihuahua Races

Ronnie
May 01, 2007 09:26AM

They will be at Rotary East's Cinco de Mayo festivities. It will be happening behind Burrito Bay in American Yacht Harbor between 4 pm and 9 pm on the 5th.

RL

Betty
May 01, 2007 09:28AM

Thanks! smiling

dntw8up
May 01, 2007 01:22PM

Betty,

Chihuahuas seem to be a popular pet here so you may be able to find one at the local shelter. Of course shelter chihuahuas aren't necessarily RACING chihuahuas big grin

Betty
May 01, 2007 01:45PM

Sorry thats what I meant by adopted. All my dogs are shelter/rescued dogs. We lost our littlest one about a year ago and she was an adorable little chihuahua mix we rescued. And am not necessarily looking for a chihuahua mix, mainly looking for a small dog (under 15lbs) that needs a good home. I have been afraid to go to the shelter because the last time I did I came home with 3 dogs. But I know I can always call or email and will do so.

They may not race but our last one ruled our house with an iron paw. smiling

TRLK
May 01, 2007 05:16PM

>>>I have been afraid to go to the shelter because the last time I did I came home with 3 dogs.

Then you should go back more often to save some more babies smiling smiling smiling

Betty
May 01, 2007 05:28PM

I truely would if I could. I think I have my husband talked into a fifth but that is pushing it. If every new comer to the island would adopt a couple, maybe this island would be a better place. Your home will definitely be safer. smiling

Trade
May 02, 2007 05:08AM

There are a couple of what look like small dogs on the second page at the Humane Society site. One is Princess. These aren't the only available dogs but worth a look. I think it was Jen who fostered that really cute, little fuzzy dog not that long ago & she found a home for it.

[www.humanesocietyofstthomas.com]

They even allow poodles in the races!

~Trade~

Juanita
May 02, 2007 10:40AM

All small dogs are allowed in the race. It is the highlight of the night. It's over fairly quickly, and getting a good view is tough. There is also live music, a few vendors, obviously Mexican food and drinks. There have occasionally been people there with puppies looking for homes, but it is not an actual part of the event. Sounds like a good idea.

That's Totally Unfair

promoguy
May 02, 2007 10:56AM

since chihuahua's only have those teensy weensy little legs.

Re: That's Totally Unfair

Joanne
May 02, 2007 03:06PM

Hey Promo -

Pretty much OT now, but it came as a huge surprise to me to learn that dachshunds (talk about short legs!!) are faster over 40 yards than a human. Someday I'd love someone to expain the physics of that to me. In the meantime, guess I'll just watch the Weinernationals (yup - there is such a thing happy).

Betty
May 02, 2007 03:13PM

Weinernationals....sounds like a good time for promo...

dntw8up
May 02, 2007 03:15PM

You're willing to admit on a public board under your own name that you watch the Weinernationals? Joanne, You've got to get a life! big grin

Joanne
May 03, 2007 10:52AM

What can I say, my sister owns two mini-dachshunds and a Jack Russell Terrorist - it comes with the territory ;-).

And sometimes the Animal Planet is the only station with anything watchable on.

Betty
May 03, 2007 10:57AM

That is true...around super bowl time my favorite show is puppy bowl on animal planet.

jane
May 03, 2007 11:31AM

Our Bichon Frise is quite fast (despite short legs) but tends to run in small circles - I guess it is a breed thing. I think she would be banned from racing for being a disruptive element. Chihuaha racing could catch on - have Caribbean wide racing, gambling pools etc!

bethburnett70
May 05, 2007 11:04AM

Betty and all,

We adopted two mutts when we moved here.. One largish and one teeny, tiny little 3 pound baby. The shelter though he would stay pretty small, we both thought he would stay small... I actually carried him around in apurse for the first two months.. he would hang his front legs over the side and fall asleep with his head pointing to the ground... He's now about 55 lbs and the goofiest looking mutt you have ever seen. smiling
Since we are renters, I wouldn't get another, but if we ever buy a house, I would defintiely get a couple more.

-B

stxem
May 05, 2007 12:22PM

I guess they are everywhere:

[www.petco.com]

Hehehehe.

Betty
May 05, 2007 12:23PM

Beth,

Had the same exact thing happen to me with my boy, he has tiny little paws (and skinny legs) to this day. He looks like hes walking on stilts. All the vets, trainers, etc all thought he would MAYBE get to 20lbs and hes 45lbs now.

They're like potato chips, its hard to stop at just one or two. Nothing like the love a mutt.

Trade
May 05, 2007 02:09PM

Amen, Betty! And they usually don't look like any other dog either.

~Trade~

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login

• Blue Ocean Transport

Moving to the U.S. Virgin Islands?

Settlers Handbook
Only $17.95

The Settlers Handbook for the U.S. Virgin Islands is your guide to moving to St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. John and Water Island.

The current 18th Edition, released in January 2016, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the islands. A must read. Order today.

Order Today

Advertise

Join VIMovingCenter.com Today!

Tell prospective and current residents about your business.

Learn More →

Sister Sites

VITraders

USVI Books & Souvenirs

VInow

USVI Vacation Guide

Living in de V.I.

USVI Relocation DVD

Proud Supporter

VI Olympic Team

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete.

Learn More →