1 Thing About St. Croix
As I start making posts I thought I would introduce my self. My name is Tom, I just graduated from Northern Illinois University this December. As I am taking time to get to know the VI (St. Croix) in particular, I thought I would take time to get to know not only some of the people who live there but also people with similar inquiry as myself. I have applied for several different teaching positions at St. Croix and am waiting in reply. Besides that I am into volleyball, hiking, adventure, personal training, and education.
So now that you know a little about me it would be much appreciated if I could get one slice of information about St. Croix or about yourself for that matter. Have glorious day and I hope to meet some interesting people on here.
Well you live up to your name speedy, My main question lays with employment. I was going to try to meet some people before asking for their help and coming straight out with the big question. I have seen this topic and read about it on the message board so i figured I would be specific as possible.
Now I would obviously assume nothing replaces a face to face application and hand shake, but any advice on getting job information before a pre-move visit would be of great help. Advice on possible businesses to apply, areas on-line to look for jobs, or any connections of people you may know looking to hire. I have applied to several teaching positions with little prevail and think it is time to look for a job outside the education field, for now. I have also applied at the buccaneer. In the past I have done landscaping for Northwestern University, been a cashier, a camp counselor for 4 years, and currently I am a personal trainer. I'm not above any work (cleaning, taking out garbage) and will break a sweat for a wage. My availability is immediate as I just graduated this December.
Thanks and have a glorious day.
THOMAS ROMPELLA 216 Center St, Grayslake IL 60030; 847-826-6372 TomRompella@gmail.com
A position in the St. Croix Community
IL Type 10 Certification, Physical Education, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, December 2010
Technology: Microsoft Office Suite, Website/Blog Design, LiveText, DartFish, Heart Rate Monitors
Certifications: Red Cross CPR and First Aid, Belay Certified
Student Teacher, Grayslake North High School, Grayslake, IL, Oct-Dec 2010.
- Structured unit and lesson plans for classes of 18-42 freshman to senior students for 8 weeks.
- Assembled and taught fitness lessons including parkour, fitness circuits, boot camp, and weight lifting.
- Originated units on archery, badminton, and Saturn ball for an individual sports class of 32 students.
- Built lessons on nutrition, training types, and program design for two strength and conditioning classes.
Student Teacher, Butterfield Elementary School, Libertyville, IL, Aug-Oct 2010.
- Arranged unit and daily lesson plans for classes of 20-24 Kindergarten to fifth-grade students.
- Created an executed units on spatial awareness, balance, fitness, soccer, football, and volleyball.
- Participated in two District 70 Curriculum Workshops.
- Conveyed to students’ parents the units and goals of the program during in-school curriculum night.
Clinical Experience, DeKalb High School, DeKalb, IL, Spring 2010
- Conducted lessons on non-traditional games, team-building, and fitness
- Collaborated in formation of a nutrition and heart health program and taught it to class of 44 students.
Clinical Experience, Lorado Taft Field Campus, Northern Illinois University, Oregon, IL, Spring 2010
- Crafted three full days of outdoor education classes for 15 multi-cultural fifth-grade students.
- Directed team-building, group-initiative, survival, orienteering, and bird-watching activities.
Clinical Experience, Adaptive Special Education Clinic, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, Fall 2009
- Assisted a 10 year old with autism in psychomotor/cognitive development.
-Structured lesson plans around locomotor, fitness, manipulative, aquatic and communication skills.
Clinical Experience, Malta Elementary School, Malta, IL, Fall 2009.
- Generated units and daily lessons on floor hockey and volleyball.
Clinical Experience, Developmental Sports Lab, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, Fall 2009
-Enhanced locomotor skills, using form feedback and drills, and tracked improvement.
Special Olympics Swim Instructor, Village of Sycamore, Sycamore, IL, 2009-2010
Summer Camp Counselor, Village of Antioch, Antioch, IL, 2007-Present
Organizations/ Awards: Illinois Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance - American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance - 2010 Counselor of the Summer - 2009 Northern Illinois Dean's List
Teachers are always in high demand. BUT.....welcome to the holidays and Crucian Christmas Festival. Responses from any government agency are slow, during the best of time, but this time of year, just be patient. DO continue to be persistent, though.
There are some teachers on the board who can give you better insight into how to get your foot in the door, but it has been said often that email isn't always as effective here as some other places.
Maybe some well placed phone calls after the holidays (when school is back in session) would be a good idea. Don't forget the private schools, too.
Good luck to you, and welcome to the forum! Most of us "regulars" give bits of info about ourselves as we post. Just keep reading, and you'll get to know a lot about us!!