Whether you open a business to serve and supply the local population or to service visitors in areas like shops, hotels, restaurants or activities; if you do the appropriate research and planning you can enjoy living in the islands and running your own business! Here you will find some information on licensing, professional board exams and tax incentives that are pertinent to business ownership in the Virgin Islands.

Business License

Business licenses are required to operate a business in the Virgin Islands. Licenses are applied for and acquired from the Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs.

In addition to the completed application form for a license, business owners must also submit:

1. Certificate of Trade Names/Corporation Registration

All businesses except non-dba sole proprietorships must show proof of trade name and/or corporate registration with the Lt. Governor’s Office. Contact the Lt. Governor’s Office for fees and details. On St. Thomas (340) 776-8515 and on St. Croix (340) 773-6449

2. Tax Clearance Letter

All applicants must submit a tax clearance letter showing good standing with the U.S.V.I. Bureau of Internal Revenue. The new and renewal license forms have this form integrated into them. For more information contact: St. Thomas (340)774-5865 and St. Croix (340) 773-1040.

3. Police Records Check

All applicants must submit a U.S.V.I. Police Department Records Check. This review will be conducted on the applicant’s behalf by the DLCA Division of Licensing upon submission of application for business license. For more information contact: St. Thomas (340) 774-2211 and St. Croix (340) 778-2211

4. Other necessary documents might include

  • Business Location Recommendations
  • U.S.V.I. Fire Department fire code compliance form
  • For Food Oriented Business; an inspection by the Department of Health is necessary to insure compliance with regulations.

The following professionals require board certification to practice in the Virgin Islands

  • Architects, Engineers, and Land Surveyors
  • Barbers, Beauticians and Manicurists
  • Construction Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Plumbers
  • Public Accountancy
  • Real Estate Appraisers
  • Real Estate Commissioners
  • Social Workers

Exams are administered by the pertinent professional board at the Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs. Health Care professions also require licensing, however they must do so through the Department of Health.

For more information on applying for a license and board certifications visit the Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs.

Search this website Type then hit enter to search
Close Menu