Health insurance fo...
Clear all

Health insurance for individuals?

Advanced Member

Good Day future neighbors!
My wife and I will be moving to STT in the near future to open a business. Currently, I have health insurance thru my present job. I will be leaving that job when we move, thereby giving up my insurance. Are there any providers of health insurance for individuals or small companies in the VI? Does anyone know of any companies on the mainland that also serve on STT? We are in our lower 50's and in good health, but none of us are getting any younger, knowwhatImean? 😉
Have a sunny day!

Topic starter Posted : March 13, 2012 1:55 pm
Advanced Member

First, I would suggest NOT to give up your health insurance when you leave your job back in the states. Sign up for COBRA, a federal law that allows you to keep your current insurance for at least 18 months---the catch is you will have to pay the full amount of the cost of the insurance, ie employee and employer portion.

As long as you have existing health insurance when you arrive, I understand the law and regulations you can continue it under COBRA when you relcate. However, I encourage you to goggle COBRA. Your existing insurance company probably will not give you a straight answer, but the law allows you to continue your health care under COBRA.

Others will provide you more details on insurance companies, the US Virgin Island. However, my experience on health insurance coverage in the Virgin Islands COST will be more and less coverage.

Good luck-------urge you to KNOW and UNDERSTAND COBRA federal law before you make any decision.

Posted : March 13, 2012 2:32 pm
Trusted Member

cookieboss: carlstx has several posts about health insurance, which you can see here:,author=2155,match_type=USER_ID,match_dates=0,match_threads=0

In short, nobody is writing new individual health insurance policies in the USVI right now. You'd have to get into an existing group policy, or start a new group which can be done with as few as 2 people.

Posted : March 13, 2012 2:44 pm

You might also contact the St Thomas Chamber of Commerce. If you become a member of the Chamber they have a contributory plan.

Posted : March 13, 2012 2:52 pm
Close Menu