House mold question  

Page 1 / 2
 

Spl123
(@Spl123)
Advanced Member
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 41
April 15, 2014 4:09 pm  

We just bought a house in st croix , we have the typical open wood ceiling and I believe it may have some mold accumulated there through out the years. The rest of the house is concrete so I do not believe that has the mold. Any suggestion about how to clean the wood ceiling to get that little smell out. I know there is some mold because I can feel it in my nose after I walked in there. Please suggestions. Any contractor that do that kind of work ..Thanks


Quote
Alana33
(@Alana33)
Expert
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 12198
April 15, 2014 4:24 pm  

Hire some one and have them Clorox the ceiling and wipe it down.
You may wish to pressure wash and clean your roof and gutters while you are at it.


ReplyQuote
RandyNTaj
(@RandyNTaj)
Advanced Member
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 68
April 15, 2014 4:51 pm  

Good afternoon! I sent you a couple private messages. Wishing you the best!


ReplyQuote
Jumbie
(@ohiojumbie-2)
Trusted Member
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 712
April 15, 2014 8:44 pm  

We had white ceilings and constantly fought the mold issue.. Pinesol and a small amount of water mixed seemed to be the most effective
.

Keith Crilow


ReplyQuote
East End Doug
(@East_End_Doug)
Advanced Member
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 236
April 15, 2014 9:11 pm  

I use cheap vodka in a squirt bottle and spay on mold areas. This kills most molds and evaporates with out a strong after smell. Some black molds can be very toxic and cause a variety of health issues. Be smart and have someone check it out.


ReplyQuote
divinggirl
(@divinggirl)
Trusted Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 887

ReplyQuote
rosesisland
(@rosesisland)
Trusted Member
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 703
April 16, 2014 12:24 pm  

I literally almost died last summer from a black mold infection in my lungs! Don't mess around with not removing it! Products are out there that will take care it it! But, you need the source removed first. Clean your roof first. Mine had to be totally torn off and replaced to remove source.


ReplyQuote
OldTart
(@the-oldtart)
Expert
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 6523
April 16, 2014 1:43 pm  

I literally almost died last summer from a black mold infection in my lungs! Don't mess around with not removing it! Products are out there that will take care it it! But, you need the source removed first. Clean your roof first. Mine had to be totally torn off and replaced to remove source.

Before you spend a bunch of money you also need to have the mold properly tested if you suspect it's something like black mold rather than simple mold or mildew. The latter is way more common than the former. I live in an area which gets more than average rainfall and the small amount of mold which gathers on the ceiling beams and in other odd spots after a particularly wet spell is easily cleaned off with a Clorox/water dilution.


ReplyQuote
Kahu
 Kahu
(@Kahu)
Advanced Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 120
April 16, 2014 2:25 pm  

I've successfully use JoMax as _divinggirl_ posted, but your success rate may depend on the surface and reading the directions so it's used properly. It has a "bleach accelerator" or some such so some bleach is added to it.

Another household product I've used more often is white vinegar. Like Doug's post about using vodka, it's less distasteful to smell than bleach but they're all still acidic (less so than bleach) so use carefully and prepare to protect anything underneath in case of drips or overspray.

:o)


ReplyQuote
terry
(@terry)
Expert
Joined: 15 years ago
Posts: 2552
April 16, 2014 2:46 pm  

My friend Steve swears by JoMax.


ReplyQuote
Rowdy802
(@Rowdy802)
Trusted Member
Joined: 7 years ago
Posts: 518
April 16, 2014 2:58 pm  

I hope the OP does research on the proper use of personal protection equipment and proper after-job decontamination... Not just grab the first pair of gloves and dust mask you can find... No need to get exposed to chemical reactions with fumes and/or airborne particulate... All for safety and health's sake... If not, hire an expert...


ReplyQuote
East End Doug
(@East_End_Doug)
Advanced Member
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 236
April 16, 2014 4:38 pm  

Try the vodka it makes cleaning "fun"


ReplyQuote
caribstx
(@caribstx)
Trusted Member
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 546
April 16, 2014 5:03 pm  

I used denatured alcohol. Although its not as fun a cheap vodka, its still much cheaper. You can get it at the hardware store in the paint/stain area. Good and cheap.


ReplyQuote
Alana33
(@Alana33)
Expert
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 12198
April 16, 2014 5:48 pm  

I love Clorox tho you should wear googles and a mask to cover mouth and nose.


ReplyQuote
Jumbie
(@ohiojumbie-2)
Trusted Member
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 712
April 16, 2014 8:15 pm  

Chlorox does not kill the mold, regardless of what kind it is. Pinesol is the only thing we found that keeps mold away the longest. Long story short, you will always have mold unless you have cedar wood beams & ceilings.

Keith Crilow


ReplyQuote
STXBob
(@STXBob)
Trusted Member
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 2138
April 17, 2014 11:42 am  

Chlorox does not kill the mold, regardless of what kind it is.

Then you're doing it wrong.


ReplyQuote
OldTart
(@the-oldtart)
Expert
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 6523
April 17, 2014 1:43 pm  

Not true. Even the Clorox Company concurs:

http://www.spore-tech.com/viewCategory.asp?idCategory=78


ReplyQuote
STXBob
(@STXBob)
Trusted Member
Joined: 13 years ago
Posts: 2138
April 17, 2014 2:20 pm  

I'd say we're both right. From your link:
"Will chlorine bleach kill mold or not—yes or no? The answer is yes, but with a caveat."


ReplyQuote
OldTart
(@the-oldtart)
Expert
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 6523
April 17, 2014 3:54 pm  

I'd say we're both right. From your link:
"Will chlorine bleach kill mold or not—yes or no? The answer is yes, but with a caveat."

Exactly. Read the caveat.


ReplyQuote
Spl123
(@Spl123)
Advanced Member
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 41
April 17, 2014 9:55 pm  

Thanks everyone ... I will continuo investigating... It is not too bad but I know we have some because I can feel it in my nose ..


ReplyQuote
Spl123
(@Spl123)
Advanced Member
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 41
April 17, 2014 10:07 pm  

Can jomax be use inside the house.? I just read that is just for outside use ..


ReplyQuote
divinggirl
(@divinggirl)
Trusted Member
Joined: 11 years ago
Posts: 887
April 18, 2014 12:16 am  

I know several people who use it to clean their ceilings.


ReplyQuote
Bassman
(@bassman)
Advanced Member
Joined: 14 years ago
Posts: 206
April 18, 2014 3:09 pm  

There are paints that incorporate a fungicide to prevent mold growth. I used to work for a company that supplied Berger Paints on Barbados. It would totally eliminate all fungal growth on the painted surface.


ReplyQuote
Alana33
(@Alana33)
Expert
Joined: 8 years ago
Posts: 12198
April 18, 2014 3:58 pm  

I have used those paints as well but after a few years, (think one brand lasted almost 4 before requiring cleaning) they stop protecting from mold/mildew and it's back to cleanng the ceiling again unless you wish to repaint. However, you need to clean the ceiling prior to repainting, anyway. I have found using clorox to do so makes the ceilings look as if they were just freshly painted and gets rid of the problem for about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs. on the interior of the house. Exterior requires annual. That's been my experience with boh my home and my rental property, at any rate.


ReplyQuote
Spl123
(@Spl123)
Advanced Member
Joined: 6 years ago
Posts: 41
April 20, 2014 3:48 pm  

Anyone know of home depot rents ladders? I need to reach the ceilings .at least 12 feet ladder .


ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Settlers Handbook

Thinking about moving to the Virgin Islands?

The Settler's Handbook is a Indispensable Guide

The current 18th Edition, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the Virgin Islands.

Order Today $17.95
Close Menu

Please Login or Register