Senate Candidate STT Bruce Flamon
This is the guy who hosts the First Friday business expos. He is not a typical candidate. I have been watching him for years, and I'm always impressed by his creative thinking.
1. He dressed up as Santa on Christmas day and distributed gifts to visitors on Main St.
2. He helped create and got sponsorship for the Certified Tour Guide course to encourage historical accuracy and encourage better customer service among taxi drivers.
3. He organized Coki Point road fix with volunteers.
4. When a group of blind visitors came, he organized and offered either free or reduced rate tours.
5. He offered seniors free transport to some health expo this summer.
6. He's an auxiliary police officer so helps students cross the street near CAHS. He nags them about the snacks they buy for breakfast and tells them he wants them to choose juices, fruits, milk, etc.
7. He organizes Smith Bay clean ups because he sees the trash and is ashamed.
8. He acts in addition to talking.
He is the type of creative thinker and doer we need in the VI. He has independent income from the States so hopefully will not be bought.
I personally think candidates should have a history of community involvement. I seldom see elected officials at community events or touting their community engagement.
If you care about the community you should be involved in some way. My forum posts (on tourist websites) is my way of contributing.
If other candidates are doing things in the community, I'd like to know.