Senate Candidate STT Bruce Flamon
This is the guy who hosts the First Friday business expos. He is not a typical candidate. I have been watching him for years, and I'm always impressed by his creative thinking.
1. He dressed up as Santa on Christmas day and distributed gifts to visitors on Main St.
2. He helped create and got sponsorship for the Certified Tour Guide course to encourage historical accuracy and encourage better customer service among taxi drivers.
3. He organized Coki Point road fix with volunteers.
4. When a group of blind visitors came, he organized and offered either free or reduced rate tours.
5. He offered seniors free transport to some health expo this summer.
6. He's an auxiliary police officer so helps students cross the street near CAHS. He nags them about the snacks they buy for breakfast and tells them he wants them to choose juices, fruits, milk, etc.
7. He organizes Smith Bay clean ups because he sees the trash and is ashamed.
8. He acts in addition to talking.
He is the type of creative thinker and doer we need in the VI. He has independent income from the States so hopefully will not be bought.
I personally think candidates should have a history of community involvement. I seldom see elected officials at community events or touting their community engagement.
If you care about the community you should be involved in some way. My forum posts (on tourist websites) is my way of contributing.
If other candidates are doing things in the community, I'd like to know.
I agree. I like this candidate as well he has been doing a lot for the community with little recognition and best of all he does not care about the recognition. He has the community's interest at the forefront over his own personal popularity. A rarity and one needed.
Thanks for sharing this. I already had planned on voting for him, but I had only his answers in the Voting Guide to go on. I love how you can pick whatever name you want on the ballot - his shows up as "Real Deal Bruce Flamon" 😉
He used to be known as Chicago. The VI culture gives many people nicknames so people might only know you by that name.
Thanks for posting this info on him.
Not a fan, he has riled up the self righteous Westboro Baptist group "One Voice" who really only has "One verse". He doesn't believe we should all have equal rights.
I have avoided One Voice, because I don't share their views, but unfortunately their beliefs mirror most of the Caribbean. I don't think any Senate candidates will support marriage equality.
That's funny, I used to talk to Chicago all the time. I had no idea who "Bruce Flamon" was when I opened this thread.
And others I have spoken to only know him as Chicago. I think he didn't want to make it so obvious that he is from States now that he's running for office.
Just as long as you do not vote for Donald Ducks Cole. Part of the old corruption. Gang.