Notifications
Clear all

tick fever

 
dougtamjj
(@dougtamjj)
Expert

Our rottie just died and we were pretty sure that she had been poisoned. We still don't know for sure but our tenants dog was vomiting and because our dog died she took her dog in to be checked out and he has tick fever. Please check your animals for ticks especially in the cotton valley area.

Quote
Topic starter Posted : June 18, 2010 3:53 am
dntw8up
(@dntw8up)
Trusted Member

Oh Tam, I'm so sorry your beloved pooch has died. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 5:34 am
imij
 imij
(@imij)
Advanced Member

Condolences.... that sucks sooooo bad, I am so sorry for you loss. It's amazing how those furry animals become part of the family.....when my husband goes to work, my dog takes his place...love it /hate it....pro's/cons........it is how it is!......Pooches Rule!!!! :@)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 6:06 am
SkysTheLimit
(@SkysTheLimit)
Trusted Member

Tammy,
So sorry to hear that!!

This is an older thread about ticks and I still stand behind the Ivermectin being the best treatment for eliminating ticks completely on your dogs.

https://www.vimovingcenter.com/talk/read.php?4,123213,page=1

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 11:22 am
SkysTheLimit
(@SkysTheLimit)
Trusted Member

Also, certain breeds of dogs should NOT be on Ivermectin.

I seem to remember Paul Hess saying do not give Ivermectin to Collies.
Check with him first.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 11:28 am
Lizard
(@Lizard)
Trusted Member

Tami,
Very sorry your dog died, I know the pain, God Bless!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 12:38 pm
STXoldie
(@STXoldie)
Advanced Member

Several of my dogs have had Tick Fever but luckily none have died from it; most Island dogs are born with it. If your dog acts lethargic, take it to your Vet for a blood test. A course of antibiotics will usually knock it out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 12:59 pm
aussie
(@aussie)
Trusted Member

Sooo sorry to hear about your pup, Tam

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 1:00 pm
dougtamjj
(@dougtamjj)
Expert

Thanks everyone.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 18, 2010 3:01 pm
roadrunner
(@roadrunner)
Trusted Member

Aw, so sorry to hear about your dog. My dogs have always been members of the family, and I'm sure yours was no different. Hope JJ is doing okay.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 4:02 pm
Juanita
(@Juanita)
Expert

I'm so sorry, Tammy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 5:11 pm
swans
(@swans)
Trusted Member

Tami,

Please be a little comforted knowing that your loss and grief are shared by caring people, God Bless.

Swan

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 5:55 pm
pamela
(@pamela)
Trusted Member

Tammy,

So, so sorry! I lost a little one to Parvo last year and it tore my heart out. Best wishes, dear.

Pamela

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2010 7:12 pm
kimd
 kimd
(@kimd)
Advanced Member

We have two dogs. We've been using frontline on both and just switched to K9 advantix (yesterday b/c of the issues with ticks), which is supposed to repel the ticks. The adopted crucian confusion has not had one tick since we got him. Our stateside dog however... I've pulled a dozen ticks off her in the last week. I doubt we can use the Ivermectin on her b/c she is part Aussie Shepherd. Any ideas why one may be getting ticks and not the other? Is there anything we can do to spray the yard?

Thanks,

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2010 4:48 pm
SkysTheLimit
(@SkysTheLimit)
Trusted Member

I don't know about Aussie Sheperd but I've seen and heard success with the Ivernectin for lots of dog. German sheperds don't have an issue and I recall Paul Hess telling me some dogs such as Collies I think should not use it.
I would consult him about that.

Coconut retrievers aka cruzan mutts can have a natural defense against them and against local allergies. The lowest maintenence dogs seem to be the local shelter mutts. I suggest everyone that can go adopt one:-)

On spraying the yard I can tell you some stories. We were caretaking at a house that had German Sheperds on site that belonged to the owners in NY. They had ticks pretty bad and it seemed to come in waves. We tried everything! Frontline, and all the drops, bathes and dips, spraying the perimeter of the house, spraying the yard. Shaving the older one. More than once the home owners paid one of the exterminating cos. to spray about an acre around the house at the tune of a couple hundred bucks or more. Nothing worked! We would get dozens a DAY. Then I spoke to a neighbor that had 3 German Sheperds and he told me he had zero ticks. WTF???? The properties were adjoining!!! How can that be??!!! He'd been using ivermectin since they were young and his were expensive, loved, and beautiful dogs. That was back in 2003 and we've used it since. We now have ZERO ticks with 4 dogs. It kills the cycle.

Call Island Animal and speak to Paul about your Aussie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2010 10:02 pm
aussie
(@aussie)
Trusted Member

WHITE FEET - DON'T TREAT!

Some aussies are highly sensitive to Ivermectin. There is no antidote for Ivermectin poisoning. Error on the side of caution.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2010 11:35 pm
rks
 rks
(@rks)
Advanced Member

August/September seem to be the worst for ticks. We've been using Ivermectin with perfect success.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2010 10:17 am
SkysTheLimit
(@SkysTheLimit)
Trusted Member

Good to know Aussie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2010 10:32 am
piaa
 piaa
(@piaa)
Trusted Member

We have 2 mini Australian Shepherds and only use Frontline on both. I was told that they must not go in the water ie: have a bath or go swimming, 48 hours before and after the application. So far, 4 1/2 years later, we have never had a flea or tick 🙂 - you watch now I have jinxed it but touching wood . Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Pia

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2010 11:54 am
aussie
(@aussie)
Trusted Member

kimd,

Talk to your vet. There's a test available to determine if your dog has the hyper-sensitivity. Approximately 1 in 5 aussies don't have the sensitivity. With a mixed breed, your odds might be better. More info here:

http://www.awca.net/drug.htm

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2010 2:21 pm
kimd
 kimd
(@kimd)
Advanced Member

Thanks Aussie - Great info. She's Aussie Shepherd and Cattle Dog, so maybe we'll be lucky. Going to give the K-9 advantix till Friday to get rid of what she has, but after that it's to the vet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2010 7:53 pm
popflops
(@popflops)
Advanced Member

OK, this may be a dumb question, but... Where I lived in the states, you could only get ticks when surrounded by trees. I've also recently switched from Frontline Top Spot to K9-Advantix because I had researched that it was better. Now, not only have I found ticks on both my dogs, but picked one of myself this morning, too, and we have NO TREES on our property! How can there be ticks? Although, to be fair, we do live across the street from kimd, so maybe they're infecting us. 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2010 3:08 pm
STXBob
(@STXBob)
Trusted Member

Ticks are often found in tall grass where they will wait to attach to a passing host.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2010 1:58 am
popflops
(@popflops)
Advanced Member

Thanks, Bob. You learn something new every day!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2010 10:24 am
Close Menu