Trying to move to St Croix & lots of ?'s!!
I'm 24yr old female trying to move to St. Croix in the near future (2-4 months). I am going to sell my brand new car before I come because its going to be so expensive to ship it from what I have learned. So now some questions!!
1.Where should i NOT live? Which places are unsafe?
2. How much is a typical 1br/1bath place?
3. Do I have to have a car or can I get by with a bicycle?
4. Should I look for a roommate before I move down?
5. Any realators you can suggest i use?
6. How much does a typical electric bill cost?
7. I dont really understand the cistern thing? Do I have to order water? Whats the difference btwn a condo/ apartment and a house when it comes to water usage?
Any answers to my questions i would REALLY appreciate! Any advice would be awesome too! I'll listen to everything!
car vs bicycle, depends on where you live and where you plan on going, but in my opinion you need a car.
electric, there is no TYPICAL electric bill as it depends on many variables: # and size of rooms, what appliances you have and or need etc.
food is alot higher here than in the states
if you have a cistern, you generally dont need to order water especially if we have had alot of rain.
we use coldwell banker from gallows bay for a Realtor
we came down and rented a 1 bd. vacation rental from VRBO.com for 3 weeks - using that time to get situated and find a place.
We found our place on Craigslist which is extremely rare down here - but not having to deal with an agent has been great. I've only heard bad things about using a rental agent. The owners of our place had such a bad time with an agent - that this time (lucky for us) they decided to list it on their own.
Try to rent directly from an owner if you can.
We looked at several places that were listed in the AVIS.
Found a car by word of mouth.
our friends just bought a car from an ad that was at schooner bay market.
1.Where should i NOT live? Which places are unsafe? -you need to visit to find out. generally east end is safer, but with exceptions. Judiths Fancy is always safe but you pay for it. Any of the condos (St. C, Pelican Cove, etc. have private security and are safer b/c of it.)
2. How much is a typical 1br/1bath place?- In a place you'd want to live? -$1200
3. Do I have to have a car or can I get by with a bicycle? -need a car, don't let anyone tell you otherwise
4. Should I look for a roommate before I move down?- roommates are a great way to meet people, but you have other ways as well. Yoga or Ulitimate frisbee are two common ones for people just out of college. PM me for details.
5. Any realators you can suggest i use?- Coldwell Banker's Joe Thayer is good. He is relaxed which has its pros or cons.
6. How much does a typical electric bill cost?- if you don't use AC? under $150 if by yourself. We never use AC and our 4 person condo runs about 300
7. I dont really understand the cistern thing? Do I have to order water? Whats the difference btwn a condo/ apartment and a house when it comes to water usage?- If you are renting a condo/apartment, you won't have to deal with it. Your landlord will help you with that
Thank you sooo much for all ya'lls help! UUAWW you definatly have helped out!
Linda my reason for moving is I want to live in the Islands! I lived on a sail boat for 6 weeks in the BVI a few years ago and I loved the weather, slower pace of life, and the people. I love scuba diving, surfing, and sailing! St. Coix is just a great fit I believe!
In college I majored in Hospitality Management with a concentration in Event Planning and out of college i worked for a 4 diamond resort. So I have work experience in the industry.