A long time ago, long before Obamacare, Abraham Lincoln proclaimed 'You may fool all the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all the time; but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time." He also commented that 'If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem.'
Did President Lincoln foresee the present debacle of Obamacare? It is probably just a convenient coinkydink but it does bring attention to the issues the country faces with this legislation and the politicians responsible for it. You get the sense not only of the futility of trying to fool the American people but also the danger posed to any politician who tries it. It's all about the 'average' folks and it's all about trust.
In the coming weeks and months, more of the impact of Obamacare will be felt by the 87% who were satisfied with their insurance, and the discord over the lies told to get this law passed will haunt the Congressional Democrats. When 87% of the 'average' folks like what they have, you don't mess with it to help the other 13%! Period.
When this law was proposed, many "Average" people shrugged their shoulders with complacency and thought: 'This isn't going to have any effect on me, I'll get to keep my insurance, my choice of doctors & hospitals. Maybe, it actually will bring down premiums - that'll be good. And the uninsured will get insurance, good for them.' We 'trust' the administration and they are telling us this so.......
Well that just ain't true and Obama & his administration knew it wasn't true, and yet blatently lied to all of us. That "miscalculation" doesn't sit well with most 'average' folks. People hate getting lied to and they they really hate being lied to about the lies they already know were lies. This fact cannot be denied.
The clincher is: when the lies cost you real money, real worry & a real disruption of your complacent real life - most people get angry, and anger has a bad outcome for those responsible - in this case 100% Democrat support, 0% Republican involvement. What has emerged as the truth is that the administration was seeking to finesse the reality, apparently well understood by administration officials at the time, that Obama’s health legislation would obliterate many individual plans, thus forcing those insured persons to seek other options. In other words, they lied to the American people and thought no one would notice!
Did President Lincoln see this coming 150 years ago?