your mailbox is full
Sorry try again
This is a lovely little book compiled by a local resident.
Say it in Crucian is a great book. I get a copy for most of our guests to take home with them to remember STX by.
Thank you so very much. The teens in my neighborhood have been trying forever to teach me Cruzian.....with limited results. I can't wait to surprise them with more phrases and words. They have been my best supporters. I believe, or at leaste intended to send you an email to see if I can get this at Amazon.com?
They have it in stock at Undercover Books in Gallows Bay.
There is a group on Facebook that has a lot of the different words with their meaning, I listed a small sampling they have below. I don't know if these were taken from the book that has been mentioned on this thread?
This is the name of the group:
You Know U From The Virgin Islands When U Speak This Language
* Meeno – (me aint know) I don't know
* Wha yuh sayin – what's up
* Hail up – hi, hello
* Ya – here (St. Croix)
* Heh – here (St. Thomas, St. John, BVI)
* Cyan (sometimes spelled "kyan") – cannot
* Safe – all right, or okay, i.e. "you safe"
* Whe pa' he/she/yuh deh? – Where is/are he/she/you?
* Whe' he/she/yuh deh? – Where is/are he/she/you?
* Deh deh – It is here/It is there (St. Croix)
* He/she ain deh deh – He/she isn't there (St. Croix)
* He/she ain deh – He/she isn't there (St. Thomas, St. John, BVI)
* I/he/she gon to come back – I/he/she left and am/is returning shortly
* I/he/she deh ya – I/he/she am/is here (St. Croix)
* Come ya – come here (St. Croix)
* Come heh – come here (St. Thomas, St. John, BVI)
* I's – I am
* Ine – means I aint or I dont/didn't (Ine gah none... I don't have any....Ine see dem.... I didn't see them)
* Yuh/ yo – your as in "wah happen to yuh foot?"
* You's – you are
* Ahyuh – all of you
Say it in Crucian! is now out of print and Amazon.com is asking insane prices for used copies. On the Virgin Is;ands Dictionary page on Facebook you can get a pdf of the book for $5.95 (see "store" at the top of the page).
Dan, I have it and I will give it to you. It's a great book.