Clear all

Drivers license

Posts: 5
Active Member
Topic starter

Hi everyone, my wife and I will be arriving in St. Croix in January. Where do we go to get a drivers license ? Do you register your car every year like the US and where is that done. How about inspection stickers?
thanks any info will be appreciated.

Posted : August 23, 2009 8:48 pm
Posts: 1866
Noble Member

Everything is done at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, including annual inspections if your vehicle is three or more years old.

Posted : August 23, 2009 9:06 pm
Posts: 5
Active Member
Topic starter

Thanks, what about becoming a resident?

Posted : August 23, 2009 9:12 pm
Posts: 219
Estimable Member

After living here for 90 days, you have to get a VI license to drive. Can't remember the fee, it's minimal, but it requires you turning in your old license and completing some forms. They need to know what blood type you are. If you don't have a stateside license and are not under suspension somewhere else, you need to take a written test and a driving test. That's if they haven't changed the process. You also used to need an eye exam form filled out by a optometrist (if not just turning in your old Stateside license). Don't know about licenses from countries besides the U.S. The worst part about the driving test on STX is they make you reverse into a really small parallel parking spot. Yikes for people that can't do it well. IF you have to take the driving test, bring the smallest car possible. I don't' know exactly what you mean by "what about becoming a resident."

Posted : August 23, 2009 9:54 pm
Posts: 371
Reputable Member

Give them a call before heading out 713-4268 - they've always been really helpful over the phone letting me know exactly what I need to bring with me.

** One random side note - make sure your wife does not wear a sleeveless shirt or has a jacket with her - they will not let you take your picture for your license if your shoulders are showing **

Posted : August 23, 2009 10:15 pm
Posts: 91
Trusted Member

what do snow birds do if there for more then three months put less then 6 ?

if you do not have a vi drivers license can you reg/buy a car there ?

i plan on being on island 4 to 5 months a year tell i sell business state side then being there full time


Posted : August 24, 2009 3:25 am
Posts: 1842
Noble Member

Motor Vehicle is Just past the Airport on the right hand side of Route # 66 going towards Frederiksted, once past the
Airport you will see a very small sign. take a right off the HWY go about 2 miles it's on the right hand side behind the police station. Regardless of the age of the vehicle it will be inspected every year, the inspectors fill out and give you the necessary paper work to get your new registration and decal "no inspection no application." Everything is done at this location (it's the only one on the island "STX"). You don't need a VI drivers license to own or register a vehicle (they accept your state side License). Unfortunately the 90 day rule applies even to snowbirds. If you get into an accident on day 91 they (the Police)are going to treat you as a non licensed driver (summons, Court, fines). Your insurance company will have an out not to Pay. However if you take a day trip to the BVI or PR the 90 days start all over again. A lot of people I Know who have been on-island for 10 years still use the stateside license. Good luck, Welcome and God Bless.

Posted : August 24, 2009 6:43 am
Posts: 3111
Famed Member

I was here for years before I finally took the plunge to get a VI license. During those years, I worked, bought real estate, registered to vote, etc. I made the mistake of letting my FL licence expire before applying for a VI lic. I took the written test (and, by the way, READ THE's not the same here!), they wanted to schedule a driving test, and the timing was impossible, so we were able to discuss my skipping the driving part, with a positive outcome for me. My license had only been expired a few days, so they were a bit lenient.

Wear sleeves, be respectful, say good morning, and do NOT argue, period! Have fun!!

Posted : August 25, 2009 12:11 am
Posts: 812
Prominent Member

Last I herd, you couldn't` get the driver license book, it was on line.<<My knowlege here is very dated
And specking of that, do they still have the "if someone suddenly stops and chats" and the "donkey right of way" etc. questions?

Posted : August 25, 2009 7:52 am
Posts: 2104
Noble Member

Posted : August 25, 2009 10:54 am
Search this website Type then hit enter to search
Close Menu