Clear all

health cards

Posts: 3
New Member
Topic starter

Hello! I will be moving to STT on July 5.
I will be applying for bartending and serving jobs until I can maybe find a job in my field (public health, phlebotomy, and allied health professional) I see that most of these jobs working in the hospitality industry require a health card. Can someone tell me what it is and how I can acquire one?
Also, Is there a certain month that is the best time to look for jobs as a server/bartender as the off season is August/September?

Posted : May 18, 2016 3:28 am
Posts: 3554
Famed Member

A health card is issued by a the VI Dept of Health and is required by anyone working with food. You get it at the hospital on St Thomas ( though someone I know who works on St John but lives St Thomas gets his on St John because he says it's quicker).

It's been a long time since I've had one, but you fill out the paperwork at the hospital, submit a stool sample to a lab, and take the results back to hospital for the card. There's a fee for the card. They may have added more requirements since I got my card, but those minimums still apply. I'm pretty sure the cards have to be renewed every year. Google VI health card, because the info is online somewhere.

Posted : May 18, 2016 5:42 am
Posts: 55
Trusted Member

ms411 has it correct. there is a 30$ fee for the stool sample and another 30$ fee for the card here in STX .the card does have to be renewed every year. Not sure about STT but here you have to go to 2 different places to take care of it. When you pick up your vile find out when you can drop it back off as some places(labs) only allow this during certain times

Posted : May 18, 2016 9:14 am
Posts: 3554
Famed Member

The fee for the stool sample varies depending on the lab. At least it did on St Thomas.

Posted : May 18, 2016 10:28 am
Posts: 6523
Illustrious Member

You can call here for information on procedure, hours, etc.

St. Thomas / St. John Office
1303 Hospital Ground Suite 10
Charlotte Amalie
St. Thomas, VI 00802
(340) 774-9000

Posted : May 18, 2016 11:12 am
Exit Zero
Posts: 2460
Famed Member

make sure you bring a Social Security card with you - for whatever reason they require it for the Food Handlers card.

Posted : May 18, 2016 12:30 pm
Search this website Type then hit enter to search
Close Menu