Its not as bad in S...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Its not as bad in St Croix as many say and or think

 
InnAtPelicanHeights
(@InnAtPelicanHeights)
Advanced Member

Summary of article .mouse droppings in flour, vinegar was being stored in container previously used for laundry detergent, changing diapers in the kitchen, 7 inspectors for 8000 restaraunts in Rhode Island.

Like I say of the critics and the complainers of what we have in ST Croix, whats happening back in your home state? Below is an article from my home state in RI, only a few weeks ago, a bakery was shut down after over a 100 became ill and one elderly man died from eating a zeppolle from the bakery.

Article From projo.com
Cranston sushi restaurant closes; mouse droppings in flour
1:12 PM Thu, May 26, 2011 | Permalink
Felice Freyer Email

Uncle Sushi and Grill in Cranston has shut down after health inspectors found mouse droppings and evidence that a baby's diapers were being changed in the kitchen, among other violations.

The inspection took place on Monday when health officials learned that eight people who ate at the restaurant on May 19 became ill with vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and abdominal cramps.

Based on the symptoms, the illnesses were probably caused by norovirus, said Health Department spokeswoman Annemarie Beardsworth. All employees were asked for stool samples, and so far three have tested positive for norovirus, she said.

Although the owner, Thong Den Vongvixay, closed the restaurant voluntarily, the Health Department issued a compliance order to make sure that he does not reopen until all violations are corrected, Beardsworth said.

The restaurant, at 570 Reservoir Ave., opened in January 2005 and was last inspected on April 22, 2009. Rhode Island has only seven food inspectors for 8,000 establishments and cannot keep up with routine inspections,

These are the key violations that inspectors found:
-- Mouse droppings were found in flour, jimmies and noodles and on the doilies on which sushi is served.
-- Vinegar was being stored in container previously used for laundry detergent.
-- Rice was kept at room temperature in a turned-off cooker.
-- The restaurant does not employ a full-time manager certified in food safety.
-- A microwave had dried food accumulation.
-- Tubular lights were lacking shields
-- Scooters, toys, powder and wipes were found in the kitchen area, suggesting that a child was allowed in the kitchen area and diapers were changed there.

"We didn't catch them in the act," Beardsworth said. "The evidence would lead us to believe that that was occurring." The owner has a 3-year-old who is still in diapers. In any case, only employees are allowed in the kitchen

Quote
Topic starter Posted : May 27, 2011 8:18 am
sallyf
(@sallyf)
Advanced Member

I am a bit puzzled why this awful story has any bearing on st croix at all...just cos its bad somewhere else doesn't mean aa darn thing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2011 12:54 am
SkysTheLimit
(@SkysTheLimit)
Trusted Member

I thought the same thing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2011 5:12 am
JesseandhisShaker
(@JesseandhisShaker)
Advanced Member

China Panda (aka Sam Woo aka Golden Wok) was closed down a couple weeks back for multiple health code violations. So maybe we're just on par with RI?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2011 6:51 pm
stephyjh
(@stephyjh)
Advanced Member

Heh. I worked at Sam Woo for a while. It was disgusting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2011 10:57 pm
Close Menu