Moving with a dog  

Page 2 / 9

Posts: 15
Active Member
Joined: 3 years ago

Hey guys, my fiancée and I will be moving down in December. I have yet to find a definitive answer as to my questions about our fur baby. My veterinarian said something about having to get a health certificate from the federal veterinarian which is in the state capitol, Oklahoma City. Is this true? I figured I could get a health certificate from any accredited veterinarian.

Thanks in advance,

41 Replies
Posts: 3009
Joined: 14 years ago

Good Afternoon,

The Department of Agriculture are the folks that oversee the animal permits, see their website's page on the topic at

Here is what they have for dogs:

"*** DOGS ***
All dogs upon entering the Virgin Islands shall be accompanied by an official health certificate stating that the animal did not originate from an area quarantined for rabies. All dogs must have been vaccinated for rabies within 6 months prior to the date of shipment except those dogs less than 12 weeks old. The certificate of vaccination for rabies must be attached to the official health certificate. No import permit is required."

It doesn't detail who fills out the certificate. You might call the Dept of Agriculture, and ask for Dr. Bethany Bradford, the director of vet services - she should be able to clear up exactly what your vet needs to provide you with. (Their number is at the top of the same webpage listed above with the regulations.)

Thank you for using to help with your moving plans.

Posts: 703
Trusted Member
Joined: 7 years ago

I've moved to STX twice in the past 21 years with dogs and cats. Went to my local Vet, he filled out forms that they were up-to-date on their shots and in good health within 10 days of our traveling. That was it. And, to my knowledge, no one even checked here on STX that that was done. Simple.

Oh, and never heard that my vet needed to be certified because he was legal to practice veterinary medicine.

Posts: 12153
Joined: 7 years ago

All of our USVI Veterinarians have signed off on docs required for traveling with pets. We send many dogs to the states from shelters and rescue organizations from all 3 islands for a chance of getting a forever home.
If you've got birds or exotic animals, reptiles, etc., you have to check with AG Dept. and Dr. Bradford as Islander mentioned whether importing or exporting.

I spoke to my Vet about my upcoming relocation with my dogs and there's no problem.

Posts: 2289
Trusted Member
Joined: 7 years ago

Any veterinarian should be able to provide you with a health certificate for your dog and provide the necessary up to date shots but the health certificate must be issued within 10 days prior to travel.

Yep. It's all pretty simple. You do NOT need a USDA vet to sign off to come into the USVi.

I just went through ALL OF THAT to get a stray puppy that I found to my friend in London. Now THAT was a lot of paperwork and hoops!

Posts: 594
Trusted Member
Joined: 4 years ago

I work at STX airport and for 5 years I have never seen anyone check arriving animals like mentioned above. But you do not want to be "that one time" that is checked.

Page 2 / 9
Settlers Handbook

Thinking about moving to the Virgin Islands?

The Settler's Handbook is a Indispensable Guide

The current 18th Edition, will help you explore your dream of island living. A solid reference book, it was first published in 1975. That's 40 years of helping people move to the Virgin Islands.

Order Today $17.95
Close Menu

Please Login or Register