Shipping a Honda to STT
i've read so much on this website & it has been extremely helpful! i just want to be clear about shipping a foreign car though - is it true that as long as the vin# begins with a "1" that the car was assembled in the US & I will not have a problem shipping it?
i've been going back & forth on whether or not to ship our car, or to buy once i get there. if it's possible, i'd rather ship our accord.
any info would be greatly appreciated.
anxiously awaiting my move,
This should clear up most of your questions:
Expect about $1200 for the actual shipping costs, and you can figure out how much taxes you will be paying based on the information on that page.
Thanks David. I'm clear on the taxes, it's just that I read something on this site a month or so back about the vin # having to start with "1". I am just trying to find out if I will have any problems shipping a honda since it is not american made (and possibly not american assembled). I'm all clear on the personal use tax, customs, and road tax.
truebluefan... i think i found the answer to our question on managed freights website....
The cost of shipping your vehicle is priced based on size, and the port of departure. Once on island, you will be required to pay a road tax of $.16/Lb. of vehicle weight. Also required is DMV fees and registrations costs. This number varies depending on the weight of the vehicle, but is normally $150.00 - $200.00. If your vehicle’s serial number begins with a 1,4 or a 5 the vehicle is made in the USA and is not dutiable. If it begins with a 2 or 3, the duty rate is 6%. Any other digit is 3.5% (Above applies for vehicle that are departing from a US port and have been previously licensed in the USA).
hey marty... i totally hear you, i really don't want to deal with shipping, but it seems like a lot of the cars on STT are more expensive to buy than they would be in the states. for example, i was chatting with a nice man at your toyota dealership the other day & he said they generally charge the msrp plus what it would cost to ship. in that case, i might as well take the car i already know is in decent shape.
i guess i'm still undecided... but leaning toward just bringing the good old accord... thanks for the 2 cents though, i really appreciate it!
I'm glad you beat me to it. I do have to agree with Marty. If I was to do it all over again then I would NOT bring my CR-V down and just buy a car there. It wasn't worth the trouble and the heartache. Especially since things didn't work out for me and I had to ship it back. I thought that it was better to bring my truck since it was paid off. I think if I could do it over again I would use the money that I paid to ship, pay duty and taxes on to buy a used "island" car.
I have to say the one thing Deb and I would have done differently if we had it to do over again, would be to ship a car. We sold her car and my truck in the states and paid cash for and island car after we got here. That meant renting a car for a week and spending several days shopping. We paid to much money for it and still had to do repairs. If we had owned a more suitable island car I definitely would have shipped one. The Accord mentioned as well as the CRV would make nice island cars. In both cases they likely would sell here for a premium that would easily cover the shipping costs if you decided to sell them later.
I shipped my Honda CR-V to STX a little over 3 years ago. It was the best money I spent to get here. I have seen lots of my friends go through multiple island cars to my trusty Honda. It's needed minimal service and still looks great. I don't baby it like some people do either. It's been off-roading, down to the tide pools, survived a ridiculous island driveway for 2 years, and hauled almost anything you can imagine. It was a foreign assembled car so it cost me a bit more but I'm still very happy with my decision. If I do leave, I still might even take it back since it's cheaper to take them back to the States (from STX at least) but I have had offers from people that want to buy it already. I know I wouldn't have a problem selling it if that's what I decide to do.