Clear all

STX driver's license

Active Member

I have read on the site what all is involved in getting your VI driver's license. Can anyone tell me where you go to on STX to apply for and get the license? Thanks for any info. you can give.

Topic starter Posted : March 30, 2009 1:12 pm
Trusted Member

Here ya go

Posted : March 30, 2009 1:19 pm
Trusted Member

You should just go to the BMV (see link above) & trade in your stateside licence for a VI one.
Mine cost like $45.00 (that was 2-3 yrs ago)
Unless they've changed things, it's a fairly simple & painless procedure. (as long as your current one is NOT expired)

Posted : March 30, 2009 1:59 pm
Trusted Member

In addition to your stateside license you will need a few other things. At the very least a second for of "identity" is required. When I went to renew my VI license I brought my Passport along with my about to expire license and they sent me home. They basically said the old licenses weren't worth the paper they were printed on and they couldn't take them as a for of ID. Amazing. Anyway, they needed 2 forms of ID, one picture, so my passport and a birth certificat or social security card was enough.


Posted : March 30, 2009 9:45 pm
Trusted Member

For the ladies, this is a mistake I made with my birth certificate. I used it along with my passport, but forgot that since I'm married my name is not the same. So I had to drive all the way home and get my marriage license. For some reason that day my SS card was not good enough. Once I had that it was a very quick process, I was shocked.

Also go dressed at least nice casual. Don't wear anything like a sleeveless shirt. They will turn you away.

Posted : March 30, 2009 10:10 pm
Advanced Member

I went last week with my Michigan license (not expired) and social security card and passport. The building that you get your tabs is being used temporarily as the license bureau. Go in and head straight for the back window. At the window there are forms for you to take and fill out. You fill it out, take it to any of the cashiers with $45 cash, credit card, but NO CHECKS! They attach your receipt to the form that you take back to the back window. She calls your name and you head inside where she fills out your information and then takes your pic. You will forfeit your stateside license and walk out with a VI license. Very painless.

Posted : March 30, 2009 11:21 pm
Advanced Member

what are the rules about when you have to get a vi license? in particular for snow bird types. do you have to keep changing back from stateside to vi licenses every year? i tried using the site the link goes to, but didn't work well with my browser, or it isn't fully functional yet.

Posted : March 31, 2009 10:33 am
Linda J

If you are on STX less than 3 months at a time, I wouldn't bother changing your drivers license. You cannot possess more than one DL at a time and I'd keep the stateside one.

Posted : March 31, 2009 12:26 pm
Search this website
Close Menu