Surge protector recommendation?
Question to WAPA survivors: what brands have worked well for you over the years? Any device that has proven particularly good at protecting your TVs, appliances and other sensitive stuff?
I have the same brand for my computer and TV's. Batteries here in STT seem hard to find. Home Depot sells them but doesn't carry replacement batteries. Finally found one at Radio Shack when one needed replacing.
Batteries here in STT seem hard to find. Home Depot sells them but doesn't carry replacement batteries.
You can find the most common size replacement battery for a UPS at Home Depot on isle 2 for around $30. Just bought some last weekend for 2 UPSs that I have. Caribbean Battery also sells them but are more pricey
Thanks. I meant that Office Max didn't carry the batteries even tho the sell the APC units.
I'll check Home Depot next time I'm there.
Its very easy to purchase replacement batteries for your APC units directly from the manufacturer. As the owner of a electronics intensive business, I have many APC units and have to replace batteries often. I have found buying direct the cheapest way when I ship them to VI Cargo or Paradise freight. They are at least half the price of a local source. Heres a link...
I had more in mind a device that protects from WAPA surges (or low voltage) but does not have batteries. Perhaps something that would plug between my dishwasher and the wall outlet. Anything you would recommend?
Most power strips provide some surge protection. Check the hardware store.
I use the APC units for both surge protection and back up power.
I was interested in this post so I did a little more research on Google. Here is an interesting article on the top 5 rated power strips. I may order a few of the APC brand from this list myself for added protection. In a nutshell, you want the model with the highest "joule" number.
I hope this helps!
Unfortunately a surge protector wont prevent brown-outs, for the islands a full battery powered unit really is necessary because of WAPA.
Look at mounting a whole house surge protector at your main electrical panel to try and protect all your appliances many of which now have sensitive electronic components.
Use a UPS for your sensitive TVs and and computers including routers. With WAPA you need all the protection money can buy.
I think the Electric Supply store (whose actual name evades my mind) behind the Daily News building by RLSH carries the surge protectors that either attach to you meter or if you have a generator mount between meter on generator supply panel. I got one and had my generator mechaic install. Not technical here at all as one can see, so don't know more than that, except it is supposed to help protect from brownouts. Plus generator won't turn off unless incoming power stablized when it comes back on. Plus have the smaller APC units and strip power cords on most everything else electric and electronic. When stuff is not in use, I unplug or turn off the strip.
The APC units are always on for computer and TV equipment.
"I unplug or turn off the strip."
Very good idea.
Doing some more research, turns out that a UPS doesn't really protect from strong surges. At least the consumer models (less than $500). They just bypass the battery when on AC power, switching over during a voltage sag or when power is off. So a strong enough surge will go right through them.
For proper surge protection one needs a, well, surge protector from a reputable company like Tripp-Lite.
Turns out also that the weakest devices for a voltage drop are less so modern electronics but appliances, pumps and other devices with a motor. Those don't need a UPS anyhow. And I am not so sure the surge protector will do anything in case of a voltage sag.
Check out Panamax. Great products. They are effective for both over voltage and under voltage events. Best yet, they stand behind their warranties. I just received a free replacement for a product I purchased 14 years ago. The surge arrestor was destroyed but the connected equipment was undamaged.
Post a link Aussie...
I was in a house that had a horrible spike which killed every appliance in the home. Fridge, microwave, computer, TV etc. Everything but the tv and receiver on a Panamax strip. The strip blew up and even burnt the terrazzo tile. But it worked as advertised.