Was it hard? Looking for feedback...
Well, our house sold ALOT faster than expected (40 days vs the neighbors 2 yrs!) and now we're faced with the decision to either look for another house here in Charlotte, NC or prepare for our move to STX. We bought a condo a year ago on STX so housing would not be a problem (for awhile, we do have two dogs and the condo is no pets). My only concern is us being able to support ourselves down there...I'm in real estate & banking and my husband is a computer programmer. His only concern is if something doesn't work out and we move back to the states, that we'd have a hard time with jobs then (at least in his field).
We want to go ahead and try now before we have a family and it's just the two of us. I'm 26 and Jamie is 31. Any feedback anyone has about trying it and moving back or trying it and lovin' it would be greatly appreciated! We wouldn't be moving for at least 9mos to a year and we have an apt for now here in Charlotte.
We've been on this board for over a year and appreciate everything! Thanks and have a great day!
Amanda & Jamie
Just a quick note, don't be discouraged if it takes a while for anyone to respond. We are all glued to our weather boards watching Tropical Storm Chris brush us and become a hurricane. Hang in there.
Go ahead and go for it, I know it's what you really want to do.
Terry and Annie
You know you guys can do it! Now is the time and I know (and you know) you'd love it. There are jobs everywhere for people that are willing to work hard 🙂 Let me know if you need help!
Amanda - you and Jamie have enough contacts already on the island that you will get lots of word of mouth info on job openings. You're much better prepared than most who move here. You're at a point in life when it's OK to dive into something like this and will have a high probability of success and happiness on STX. And with the equity already earned in your condo, your STX adventure would be profitable even if you ultimately return to the mainland someday.
I say do it also. What if you keep putting it off and ten years from now you look at each other and say "we were so close and..." Maybe you really wish you'd have done it or maybe you say whheeeww. Look at your budget come up with what you will need to earn. Make decisions based on real data. If something like health insurance is a problem call and get a quote, so you can make informed decisions. You already are renting an apartment. Box up stuff you won't need, your furniture and your winter clothes and put in storage for now. Storage would cut costs on that apartment your currently in. Maybe one of you comes to the island a little quicker, gets the condo ready and finds employment while the other one works as breadwinner for a few months. Just a suggestion that may work.
No one can make this decision for you.......it's now up to you guy's. You have researched this board for a year so I think you are about as prepared as anyone, you are as informed as you can be without actually experiencing it in person, you have bought a condo, sold your home, so it sounds like it's now or (maybe) never. If it is something you both want to do then you just need to make a decision and stick to it and not look back.......move or no move 🙂
One can "talk it to death" and never be any closer to a decision - only the two of you know if it is the right thing or not. So what is the worst thing that can happen - you hate it right, but at least you tried it. So, a job in your husbands line of work might be hard to get back into - yes maybe in you "old" home city but maybe there would be one in LA, or Atlanta, or Kansas City or.......well you get the idea. It's now up to the two of you. Good luck with the decision making and remember it will be normal should you decide to go for it to have moments of "what the he** are we doing" followed 10 mins later by "I am so excited, I want to go now" and should you decide it's not for you then that's just fine also - it's your life and only the two of you (for now, before babies) can live it 🙂