Valid driver’s licenses from anywhere in the United States are good for 90 days after arrival in the US Virgin Islands. If your driver’s license is from elsewhere you would need to get a temporary license.

Option 1. I have a valid US License

If you have a valid US license you can turn in the US driver’s license in exchange for a VI driver’s license without taking either the road or written exams. On St. Thomas and St. John you must first go to the DMV office and pick up/pay for an application/medical form (see Application Form topic below) which you must get completed prior to trading in your driver’s license. On St. Croix you complete a driver’s license application form on the spot while trading your stateside license for a VI license; it cost $35. You may need to show your social security card and proof of nationality in the form of a birth certificate, a valid US passport, proof of naturalization or an alien resident card.

Option 2. My US license is expired or no longer valid

If you do not have a valid license you will have to complete the necessary:

A. Application / Medical forms
B. Written Test
C. Road Test.

A. Application / Medical Form

The Application/Medical form can be purchased for a small fee at the Department of Motor Vehicle on St. Thomas and/or St. John. The form is a double sided sheet or two one sided sheets. The form is stamped when they give it to you.

The first page includes general information about you; your name, address, social security number, birth date, employer, prior driving violations or driver’s license issues (having it revoked). Two passport size, color photos are requested to be attached to the form. The second page is a medical form that must be completed by a physician.

The medical form includes your blood type and questions in a yes/no form. Questions include; do you have hearing problems, have you any mental conditions or been confined to an institution, do you have diabetes, have you ever had a stroke, do you have high blood pressure among other questions of a similar nature.

The second half of the medical form is a visual exam. It requires a visual acuity test without glasses and then with glasses if you wear them and a simple peripheral vision test. If you do not wear glasses but can not pass the visual acuity exam the doctor will indicate that it is necessary for you to get glasses and then retake the visual exam.

The physician must sign and stamp the form. The medical form can be completed at a walk in clinic or at an optometrist’s office. The fee is generally $25-$60 for the brief eye exam depending on where you go to have it completed.

B. Written Test

The DMV will give/loan you a book to study the local laws for the written test. Questions include topics like speed limits in town and out of town, what to do if someone is trying to pass you, when to turn on/off your headlights, what various street signs mean or what they look like (shape, color) and where main roads and highways are located.

C. Road Test

The road test begins with your ability to reverse into a parking spot without hitting or coming too close to cones. If you fail this part the road test is over. If you pass its on to the road where the tester observes your use of mirrors, hand signals, response to street lights and signs, speed limit, school zone rules etc. You will be asked to reverse in the road – this is to see if you know what side to reverse on. Tips: When starting out be sure to adjust your mirrors, seat, seatbelt etc. You are not the regular driver of the car you are in so these things are not adjusted for you and you will lose points for not adjusting them. A licensed driver must bring you to the road test in their car which you use to the take the test; they wait for you at the DMV while you take the road test.

Search this website Type then hit enter to search
Close Menu