There are car dealerships in the Virgin Islands that sell new and used vehicles. Individuals also sell their personal cars in newspaper classifieds under ‘used cars’ or ‘cars for sale’.
Should you Ship your Car
Things to think about when deciding whether to bring your car to the Virgin Islands with you.
- Decide whether your car is worth enough to spend the money to transport it to the islands. If it’s not worth it then sell it in the states and buy a car when you get here.
- You will be asked about your title on the car, if you do not have it you may be asked for a letter from your lender indicating you have permission to transport the vehicle off the mainland US. Ask the shipping company you are using for full details on required documents and/or letters.
- Main roads are paved. There are some residences with dirt driveways.
- Roads on St. Thomas & St. John are steep and curvy. (You’ll need a sturdy engine. Good Brakes.) St. Croix has more flat areas but also has some steep roads.
- It is hot here. (You’ll need a good cooling system and AC if you want comfort.)
- Can you get parts for your car here?
- Salt in the air is hard on cars.
- There are several taxes you will pay to bring a car into the territory.
Shipping your Car
Shipping barges for cargo will transport cars from ports generally on the east coast of the US mainland to St. Thomas and St. Croix.
Contact some of the companies listed below for more information and quotes.
The largest automobile insurance carrier and among the largest providers of property and casualty insurance in the USVI. Committed to providing customers with the unmatched support that has been our hallmark since our inception in 1984. Our policies are parallel to the best coverage by other carriers found across the U.S offering bodily injury liability, property damage liability, property damage, medical payments liability, comprehensive physical damage insurance, collision insurance, and uninsured motorist protection. Our professional and friendly agents are ready to deliver the quality & service you expect. Automobile liability insurance is mandated by law in the USVI.
Top of the Line Transport
When it comes to shipping your vehicle there are a few options. We can work with you to determine the best option for your situation. Once we take all the factors into account, and determine which are the most important to you, we can make a good decision on the right lane to relocate your vehicle. We are experts in vehicle transport. Whether you are moving your vehicle coast-to-coast or just a few hundred miles our certified vehicle moving consultants can help you every step of the way. If you have any question about shipping your vehicle please call us, we’d be happy to talk to you.
Centerline Car Rentals
Looking for a great deal on a used vehicle? We are always updating our fleet, so we often have Jeeps, cars, SUVs, trucks and vans for sale. If you are looking to buy a vehicle on St. Croix (or we can ship to St. Thomas), check out "Buy A Car" on our web site or stop by our Airport Rental Car Return location to see what's available.
Blue Ocean Transport
Blue Ocean Transport is a licensed ocean shipping company specializing in shipping vehicles between the U.S. mainland & the Virgin Islands. Our company offers a wide range of reliable vehicle shipping services such as picking up your vehicle from anywhere in the 50 states or providing you the option of you delivering your vehicle to the port. We also advise you on all shipping documentation needed to ship your vehicle. In addition, we offer the shipping of other items such as pallets, crates, boats & containers. Join many of the happy customers that have used our services. Thank you!