Is crime a big issue outside of populated areas? Seems i hear a few concearns about it.
Yes. It helps to stay out of iffy areas late at night, don't get drunk in public & make yourself a target & stay out of the drug scene.
this is an issue i am also concerned with. as i wont be moving until june or july, and will be doing a pmv Early june, i am really worried about crime. should i be or am i making too much of the crime there. ive been to large cities, and live very close to cleveland, so i am used to crime. so basically is crime there any worse than that of a large city? what iffy areas are you talking about? thanks, lexi
What island are you talking about?
On St Croix just go places with a group. Like beaches, downtown. Hubby and I go places by ourselves but we are aware of our surroundings. We go to first Friday's where Christiansted is open until late (10 or 11 some places). We go back to our car and watch everyone and it seems fine.
The crime RATE is much higher in the VI than areas in the main land of the same population. And we have about twice the police officers of areas that have the same population. We solve fewer crimes, including murders than any other place in the US yet we have such a small area to work. But there is a way to avoid most of the crime.
1. Don't be in a place that you should not be. Don't go out drinking late at night in the wrong place.
2. Go in large numbers. Don't go alone.
3. Avoid places that are know as "Local hang outs".
4. Don't flash jewelry or large amounts of money.
5. Respect the people of the island. Most are simply great and care about crime as much as you. It is a small percentage that create the crimes. Most crimes are local in nature (like the killing on Megan's bay). Many are domestic. Most are drug driven and are to get cash, or other items to sell to pay for drugs. But some impact others, including the tourists.
6. Select an area to live in that is known to be safe.
7. Choose your friends with care. If you run with dogs that have flees, you will get them also.
8. Avoid driving late. Also try to avoid driving through problem areas.
9. Lock your doors. Make sure that there are no possible entrances through windows that are open.
10. Look ahead. Watch to see if something does not seem right. Then go the another way.
11. make sue that your car is in good shape so that the probability of breaking down is as low as possible.
None of these are unique to the VI. They are the same things you would do in the main land. And there is always a chance that you will be next. If you get into that situation do the best you can to get through it. If your life is in danger do whatever you can to get out and get help.
But all in all I don't fell any less safe here than I did in NY city.
how do i meet new people if i shouldn't go places alone? I'm moving alone, so i wont know anyone, how do i then avoid going anywhere alone?
Go to places where there are people. In other words, don't go to a secluded beach or walk streets at night where there are no people, ie 'alone'.
awaddle, there are tons of places to go during the day... and there are volunteering opportunities... there are events.. there is finding a cool, safe hang out and becoming a regular. There is this fantastic board! There are a lot of ways to meet people here. And, depending on your job, that might even be a good way to make friends.